FORUMS: list search recent posts

Titles for a DVD

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Camin
Titles for a DVD
on Mar 23, 2011 at 3:25:35 am

I wasn't sure where to post this, but I know that broadcast standards create a good looking product. I'm in charge of color grading a video for SD DVD and had a few questions:

1. What are the RGB limits for pure white and black for title cards? I know they are a little different than 0-100 IRE.

2. I know the broadcast safe range for RGB values in 16-235, but is that still applicable for a DVD? Will a television expand those values to hit a pure white point and black point such as 0 and 255 or will it stay sort of compressed?

Thanks, sorry for the newb questions.

p.s. I'm a motion designer and am helping a family member out on a personal project, otherwise I would not be in charge of such an endeavor.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Titles for a DVD
on Mar 26, 2011 at 8:01:09 pm

[Kevin Camin] "2. I know the broadcast safe range for RGB values in 16-235, but is that still applicable for a DVD? Will a television expand those values to hit a pure white point and black point such as 0 and 255 or will it stay sort of compressed?"
Hi Kevin,
The same is for DVDs and DVDs has no overheads for Y' values over 100%. Every thing over this value is clipped to pure White.

The Text Generator makes a White with RGB=255.255.255.
On YUV (SMPTE..) this White must be mapped to Y'=235 (100%).
The problem is that some times the applications don't do t properly this mapping.
In FC there are three different behaves, depending on how you are generating your white (mattes, text, Boris), and the sequence setting.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]