FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony Z5 + Atamos Ninja Interlace/prog query...

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Simon Knight
Sony Z5 + Atamos Ninja Interlace/prog query...
on Mar 11, 2011 at 11:22:01 am

ok, want to make my Z5 into an HD broadcast quality camera by adding the Atamos Ninja digital hard drive and 220mbps ProRes HQ recording. It receives data from the camera via HDMI cables. Now they are compression free aren't they?

Here's a quote from the actual Sony HVR-Z5 website:

"HDMI output connector
Uncompressed digital HD video and audio signals are output from the HDMI connector. You can see stunning HD images on an HDMI-compatible monitor display. During shooting, a pre-compressed 1920x1080i/4:2:2 signal is output from the HDMI connector"

http://www.sony.co.uk/biz/product/hdvcamcorders/hvr-z5e/features

So as I understand it, I cant record any progressive material onto the external recorder because the image down the HDMI is 1080i..

Now if I record onto standard HDV tapes the lcd screen reads it recording 1080i25p... So whats happening there? is it progressive or interlace... or both..
Can someone please give a little ramble on what the camera is recording and generally anyone's thoughts on the Z5/Ninja combination..
Very kind regards

Simon Knight
MediaHound Films

Been there, Done that, Bought the T-Shirt, Took the Photo. Now want to make the Film.....

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Sony Z5 + Atamos Ninja Interlace/prog query...
on Mar 12, 2011 at 6:22:00 am

[Simon Knight] "So as I understand it, I cant record any progressive material onto the external recorder because the image down the HDMI is 1080i.. "
No. Don't worry.
The stuff you are recording is fully Progressive, but is packed and streamed as Interlaced (PSF).
Once you have those files on your computer, just treat them as progressive.
rafael
PS: When you record on the HDV tapes, the progressive picture is also being recorded as Interlaced (psf).

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]