FORUMS: list search recent posts

SDI to DVI problem

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Tomashek
SDI to DVI problem
on Feb 16, 2011 at 6:44:18 pm

I am working with a customer who just purchased the AV-HS450 switcher from panasonic. It is running in 480i mode. They have Panasonic PT-D6000 projectors. There is no SDI input on that unit so they got a Black Magic SDI to HDMI converter. Plugged in an HDMI to DVI cable and fired it up. We had an image, but it was all green. After some phone calls, Black Magic stated that their box only outputs YUV color space. When hooking up HDMI directly to the projector (from and HMC-150) it worked fine.

So then we got an AJA HI5 converter. This has jumpers for RGB or YUV output. This should work fine. However, now we get just a black image.

They hooked up the HI5 to a standard DVI monitor and also had a black image.

We demonstrated the issue with the Black Magic converter to a Panasonic engineer and he was stumped.

Any ideas?

Return to posts index

David Shulkin
Re: SDI to DVI problem
on Feb 16, 2011 at 7:24:17 pm

Scott:
Just to confirm, did you make sure you had the latest software from AJA and updated through the miniconfig software app? I had a similar problem when I first hooked it up and this solved the problem. Good Luck.

Return to posts index

Scott Tomashek
on Feb 16, 2011 at 7:29:40 pm

I don't have it right in front of me but I don't believe the HI5 has a USB port. The HI5-3G does.

Return to posts index

Tim Ward
on Feb 16, 2011 at 7:38:58 pm

Are you using the converters on the projector end or the switcher end? They should be on the projector end, run coax to the projector, then short jumper DVI cable from the converter to the projector.

Also, why not use an AJA HDP2 and eliminate the HDMI-DVI adapter? The fewer converters/adapters the better.

Return to posts index

Scott Tomashek
on Feb 16, 2011 at 7:42:24 pm

Coax to the projector, then a 3' HDMI to DVI cable.

The HDP2 has a scaler in it. I didn't want to add additional delay to the image (since it is for IMAG) that scaler processing usually introduces.

The cable is just a passive cable. HDMI and DVI are supposed to be electrically identical. This is the first instance I've seen where it doesn't work.

Return to posts index

Tim Ward
on Feb 16, 2011 at 7:51:12 pm

IMAG - gotcha. You should post in this forum that is for live and stage events. Those guys should be more help.

Return to posts index

Tim Ward
on Feb 16, 2011 at 7:52:31 pm

Sorry! (didn't preview that post first)...THIS FORUM: http://forums.creativecow.net/livestageevents

Return to posts index

Scott Tomashek
on Feb 16, 2011 at 7:52:53 pm

My first post on here. I'll try and move this over to the live IMAG section.

Return to posts index

Tim Ward
on Feb 16, 2011 at 7:59:38 pm

Oh I'm not fussing. :) Welcome to the Cow!

Have you thought of using an SDI-to-Y'Pb'Pr converter and using the projectors' component inputs? That's probably be the least-delayed conversion.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Feb 17, 2011 at 1:22:51 am

this is the correct answer (Tim Ward posted it). Stop it with the HDMI to DVI converter cable. That's your problem. Get the AJA or Blackmagic SDI to YPbPr converter - your projector has analog YPbPr inputs - your problem will be gone instantly.

AND Panasonic has a DVI output option board as well.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

maurice jansen
on Mar 20, 2011 at 1:02:16 pm

indeed

go analog on the end.
a dac box always give you a signal.
no fuzz with the nightmare called EDID&HDCP
its SD anyway so the projector must scale.

grt
Maurice

People saying they don't make mistake's often make nothing at all!

Return to posts index

Scott Tomashek
on Mar 25, 2011 at 1:59:49 pm

I got a reply from Panasonic saying that there is a different chip in the projectors with DVI than with HDMI inputs. The HDMI inputs can register RGB or YPbPr. The DVI only recognizes RGB. So I got a converter that converts the SDI to RGB. That didn't work either because it doesn't understand 480i, only 720p and 1080i.

So I'm waiting for the third converter to come in.

Return to posts index

Benjamin Knecht
on May 17, 2012 at 11:19:16 pm

Hi, last week I also used a black magic SDI to HDMI converter. It was between a Panasonic AG-HMX100 and a PT-D6000 beamer. I got the picture but in green...
Scoot, did you finally found the good converter ?
I was wondering if I buy an AJA HDP2 (HD-SDI to DVI), would it works ? Will HDCP make some problems ?

Thank's for your answers.

Return to posts index

Scott Tomashek
on May 17, 2012 at 11:53:21 pm

The TV One 1T-C2-511 did the trick. It has some setting you need to get right for it to work. Mostly setting the output color format. I tried AJA and DataVideo and neither worked.

Return to posts index

Benjamin Knecht
on May 18, 2012 at 9:58:48 pm

Did you try the Matrox MC-100 as it has an HDMI output including YUV and RGB ?

Return to posts index

Benjamin Knecht
on Jun 6, 2012 at 11:19:21 am

When you had the AJA, did you try to change the settings with 4:4:4 RGB with the AJA software and an usb cable ?

AJA HDP2 manual :

AJA HDP2 HD-SDI/SDI to DVI-D Video and Audio Converter
Color Space—Selects the Video Format. Choose from Auto, 4:2:2 YCbCr, 4:4:4 RGB or
4:4:4 YCbCr. Choosing “Auto” lets the HDP2 automatically select the format
based on the capabilities indicated by the attached monitor.

Return to posts index

Scott Tomashek
on Jun 6, 2012 at 11:24:32 am

I don't think I had that model. I think it was an earlier model without that feature.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]