FORUMS: list search recent posts

Set up new monitor

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Teresa Brown
Set up new monitor
on Feb 1, 2011 at 4:26:19 pm

I need to set up a new Dell U2410 UltraSharp monitor. I want to prioritize the color space for TV broadcast. What color space should I use? What's the most accurate procedure for color calibrating this monitor for that purpose?

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Set up new monitor
on Feb 1, 2011 at 8:56:13 pm

you will never get this Dell monitor to look like a broadcast monitor (from FSI, CineTal, TV Logic, JVC, Sony, Panasonic, etc.).
Ain't gonna happen.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Teresa Brown
on Feb 1, 2011 at 11:28:33 pm

Please respond to the question asked. If I wished to know how to set up one of tho monitors that you've mentioned, I would have asked that question. You have been of no assistance and are only presenting yourself as arrogant and condescending.

I believe the calibration is satisfactorily for now, but if anyone has sincere suggestion to offer, that would be genuinely appreciated.

Return to posts index

Teresa Brown
on Feb 1, 2011 at 11:35:31 pm

Let's please keep this forum a site where questions on technical guidance are discussed with mutual respect and benefit. This is actually the site where I found this particular monitor recommended.

Return to posts index

Chad Brewer
on Feb 2, 2011 at 12:03:54 am

[Teresa Brown] "You have been of no assistance and are only presenting yourself as arrogant and condescending. "

In the context of this forum, I don't think Bob was being arrogant or condescending.

You were the one that used the term "broadcast" in a broadcast video specific forum and that was Bob's way of telling you that you have a computer monitor that is not suitable for broadcast color monitoring.

Read the user manual for your monitor, that is as far as calibration will go for a computer monitor.

Chad Brewer
Senior Broadcast Videotape Operator
TeleVersions, LLC

Return to posts index

Teresa Brown
on Feb 2, 2011 at 12:14:36 am

My research was finding photographer's perspectives on calibration. I've heard of some special calibration tools in the past, if anyone has some helpful info to share, again... appreciated. This is the computer monitor which I would like to match as well as possible to a JVC broadcast monitor.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Feb 2, 2011 at 7:02:28 pm

Teresa,
I am sorry that you found my comment disrespectful, but I can assure you that you will never get your Dell DVI or VGA LCD monitor to look anything like your JVC Broadcast monitor. And if I am wrong, and if you do accomplish this, then please contact me, because we can then make a lot of money selling cheap computer monitors as broadcast monitor replacements.

Bbo Zelin

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Feb 2, 2011 at 7:12:23 pm

Teresa,
I mean none of this personally to you, but it's a matter of principal to me. The comment I am about to make relates not only to your Dell monitor, but all equipment, including cameras, drive arrays, and everything else discussed here on these professional forums.

You can't make CHEAP CRAP perform like professional equipment. That's why there is professional equipment. To dramtically OUTPERFORM the quality of consumer and prosumer equipment. You mention from "a photographers perspective". The advent of DSLR cameras in the last 2 years from Canon and Nikon is the first time in HISTORY that inexpensive equipment can be used for broadcast production - in my book, this is called a MIRACLE. Just because Canon has released a low cost product that has incredible quality compared to other more expensive products from Sony, Panasonic, JVC, etc. does NOT mean that this is going to happen to the rest of our industry. You want professional equipment, you buy professional equipment. Why am I arrogant about this subject - because this is what keeps US (professionals in the photography, videography, cinematography, audio and post production markets) in business, and able to make a decent living. The very fact that you insinuate that you are insulted by the fact that "cheap crap" should do everything that expensive broadcast equipment can do (apply this to other catagories as well) - means that WE can't make a living, because student who goes to Best Buy can do exactly what we do for a living, if they have a good eye. Sorry, but this is a very threatening concept.

With that said, there is no calibration technique that I am aware of to get a DELL monitor to look like a broadcast CRT, and I am one of the first people who ever used a Dell 2407WFP to view an HD-SDI signal (using analog component HD), so don't think I haven't tried this in the past.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Özgür Akyıldız
on Sep 22, 2014 at 12:09:09 am

"does NOT mean that this is going to happen to the rest of our industry."

Hey Bob,

I don't know much but I do know that people who think like you will be left behind :)) no offense!

The entire idea of technology is moving towards supplying cheaper but professional tools to more and more people each day. And this will match up or even increase their revenues.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 3, 2011 at 8:37:53 am

[Teresa Brown] "My research was finding photographer's perspectives on calibration. I've heard of some special calibration tools in the past, "

Calibration of monitors for PRINT work, and PHOTOGRAPHY is absolutely doable. EYE2ONE, Pantone, Sypder...those devices are used to calibrate monitors for those mediums. Absolutely possible.

VIDEO is a different beast altogether...you can't calibrate a monitor for video...not without special hardware to send the monitor a modified signal, like the old Matrox MXO.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on Feb 5, 2011 at 5:19:11 pm

I'm sure it's a mistake to add it - I doubt you're still reading this forum Teresa, but...

The monitor you have does not have the correct temperature of 'white', nor the correct color gamut, nor the necessary refresh speed to act as a broadcast monitor. You can't get it 'close enough' either. It either has to be engineered for this specific type of use (and connected correctly) or it just won't work.

Additionally, you have to connect video typically through a hardware card; your computer is in RGB space and broadcast video is in YCr'Cb' space.

Bob is known as quite the curmudgeon; but he was 100% right; this screen cannot be calibrated for broadcast use.

Best of luck.

Best,

Jeff G

Apple Master Trainer
Avid Cert. Instructor DS/MC
Avid & Color Videos Vasst.com
Compressor Essentials Lynda.com

Return to posts index

Teresa Brown
on Feb 7, 2011 at 8:19:43 pm

Just an FYI, the color bar calibration within Final Cut is giving a very decent match for all practical purposes.

Return to posts index

Joey Burnham
on Feb 7, 2011 at 10:59:48 pm

Just curious what "practical purposes" are.
If it works for you then use it, but you just can't compare apples to oranges and ignore what everyone here is telling you. Nobody is out to get you, they're just giving you honest answers.
There's a good reason why broadcast monitors are $$. If you are doing work for broadcast you simply must invest in a different monitor. Unfortunately what you see on that Dell is NOT what people will see on their tv's. End of story.
Best,
Joey

Return to posts index

Teresa Brown
on Feb 7, 2011 at 11:23:03 pm

:) Please note, the intent was to simply seek some tips on accurate calibration technique. Not whether any one here approves of the monitor. It appears to be a good combination with my JVC broadcast CRT used for fine color work.

Folks are reacting to a question that was never asked. I found what I needed on my own. Happy ending to my story. :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]