<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Alan
Bob Zelin and all: advice for Panasonic AV-HS400A
on Jan 30, 2011 at 5:30:11 pm

Hi,

bob Zelin,

I am ordering a
Panasonic AV-HS400A Compact Live Multi-Format SD/HD-SDI Switcher
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/587599-REG/Panasonic_AV_HS400AN_AV_HS...

We have a
Panasonic BT-LH1710W 17" Widescreen HD/SD LCD Video Monitor
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/598792-REG/Panasonic_BT_LH1710_BT_LH1...
and will be ordering a
Panasonic TH-42PH20U 42" HD Plasma monitor
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/693010-REG/Panasonic_TH_42PH20U_TH_42...
In your post on
http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/21/860328#860329
AV-HS05M5 DVI & Analog Component Output Board for AV-HS400
You say order the optional DVI output board.

1st ?: is this the right card:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=PAAVHS04M5&N=0&InitialSearch=yes

2nd ??: Will this work with both of the monitors mentioned above?

Please educate me: Why do you want to use an output designed for digital/computer monitors when viewing on TV monitors?

3rd ???: And would using an AJA or blackmagic design converter work as well?

For input we are connecting either Canon HV40s which have HDMI out and component out and Sony Z7Us which also have HDMI and component out.

I know I can use AJA HA5 HDMI to SD/HD-SDI Video and Audio Converter because I was told this by our sales rep.

4th ????: But is this my best option?

Thanks so much.

OSX 10.5.8; MacBookPro4,1 Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5 GHz
; Camcorders: Sony Z7U, Canon HV30/40, Sony vx2000/PD170; FCP certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Chuck Pullen
Re: Bob Zelin and all: advice for Panasonic AV-HS400A
on Jan 31, 2011 at 3:40:43 pm

Couple of things before Bob gets to this. I am using the 400 with the Panasonic 26" monitor (as both preview and program due to space) produces a really nice picture and works great. I assume you are using the 42" as your "multi-view" and the 17" as you program? The reality is that it is about half the price to purchase an AJA HI5 which is the opposite of the HA5 for getting the HD/SDI out to your HDMI on the 42". I've used the HI5 for a similar application and it works just fine.

In a perfect world you would use cameras that all have HD-SDI outputs and well as genlock, but the HA5's will do the trick once you get the 400 configured correctly so that it likes the un-synced inputs. Other than that I see no real issues with your workflow, Bob may have more to say on this.

Chuck

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jan 31, 2011 at 7:11:58 pm

Thanks. I don't think I would use both monitors. And I'm not sure which will work better for me until I experience it. But I will have both and want to order what I would need to use them. So you are suggesting using a Hi5 HD-SDI/SDI to HDMI Video and Audio Converter if I am using the 42".

I would prefer to use the 17" which does not have HDMI and its why Bob's post caught my attention about needing a DVI out card.

But good to know the aja out will work with the 42. Plus the 42 and the 17" has DVI in and Bob was saying that is the way to go...

; Camcorders: Sony Z7U, Canon HV30/40, Sony vx2000/PD170; FCP certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Chuck Pullen
on Feb 1, 2011 at 2:31:16 pm

[Craig Alan] "Thanks. I don't think I would use both monitors. And I'm not sure which will work better for me until I experience it. But I will have both and want to order what I would need to use them. So you are suggesting using a Hi5 HD-SDI/SDI to HDMI Video and Audio Converter if I am using the 42".

I would prefer to use the 17" which does not have HDMI and its why Bob's post caught my attention about needing a DVI out card.

But good to know the aja out will work with the 42. Plus the 42 and the 17" has DVI in and Bob was saying that is the way to go..."

Whatever you do… use the largest possible monitor you can for the multiview, you won’t regret it. My opinion on the DVI differs from Bob’s, but if you have money in the budget for the extra DVI output card, by all means go for it.

As for your question on BNC cables, just make sure you are using all new high quality RG59/RG6 75 Ohm digital coax cables from someone like Belden. As long as you’re not buying your wires from Radio Shack, everything coming from an actual broadcast supplier should be SDI compatible.

Personally I don’t trust anything without a BNC on it, so I try not to use HDMI, DVI, etc; unless I have no other choice. BNC’s & XLR’s are the only cables that can handle the rigors of television production IMHO

Chuck

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Feb 2, 2011 at 2:07:50 pm

Thanks so much. I agree on interconnects. HDMI cables are really stiff too. I've decided to invest in the out board. I'll use short HDMI cables for each cam velcroed to tripods and long BNC SDI cables to the mixer.

I get one shot at ordering this stuff and its hard to know without trying the gear out. You've been very helpful.

Craig

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Feb 1, 2011 at 4:04:47 am

bob Zelin,

I am ordering a
Panasonic AV-HS400A Compact Live Multi-Format SD/HD-SDI Switcher
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/587599-REG/Panasonic_AV_HS400AN_AV_HS.....

REPLY - great choice

We have a
Panasonic BT-LH1710W 17" Widescreen HD/SD LCD Video Monitor
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/598792-REG/Panasonic_BT_LH1710_BT_LH1.....

REPLY - great as a Program out monitor.

and will be ordering a
Panasonic TH-42PH20U 42" HD Plasma monitor
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/693010-REG/Panasonic_TH_42PH20U_TH_42.....

REPLY - great for the multi viewer monitor out. Use the DVI input, not the analog component input of this monitor, because it will overscan the multiviewer image. The DVI output will scan perfectly.

In your post on
http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/21/860328#860329
You say order the optional DVI output board.

1st ?: is this the right card:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=PAAVHS04M5&N=0&InitialSearch=yes

2nd ??: Will this work with both of the monitors mentioned above?

REPLY - yes - use the 17" BT-LH for your direct program output for hi quality output. Use the DVI output for the multiviewer to the 42" plasma.

Please educate me: Why do you want to use an output designed for digital/computer monitors when viewing on TV monitors?

REPLY - because the MULTIVIEWER OUTPUT needs a computer screen, and the big plasma is doing that job. You could do this with a cheap 24" LCD screen with a DVI connector, but then everything is tiny. It won't be tiny on your big Plasma. You will see everything. If you use the Y Pb Pr outputs to a TV monitor, it will OVERSCAN, and you won't be able to see the entire multiviewer screen.

3rd ???: And would using an AJA or blackmagic design converter work as well?

REPLY - work for what ? I don't understand the question.

For input we are connecting either Canon HV40s which have HDMI out and component out and Sony Z7Us which also have HDMI and component out.

REPLY - the base model has SDI/ HD-SDI inputs. This switcher has option cards for anlaog component, but not HDMI. You can get HDMI to HD-SDI converters from AJA or Blackmagic.

I know I can use AJA HA5 HDMI to SD/HD-SDI Video and Audio Converter because I was told this by our sales rep.

REPLY - I don't know your whole system, so I can't make accurate statments. You have purchased excellent equipment, but I did not design your system, nor do I have your equipment list, so I can't say "YES" without knowing the whole story. Do you trust your dealer ?

4th ????: But is this my best option?

REPLY - I don't know - you bought very good gear - Panasonic switcher, Panasonic plasma, Panasonic BT-LH program monitor, AJA and Blackmagic converters. There is a lot more to this than this equipment. Mics, Audio, intercom, something to record the output to. There is a lot to a production system. I dont' know the whole story here. But so far, you have bought good gear.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Feb 1, 2011 at 4:40:10 am

Thanks so much Bob,
I get why I want a computer signal for the multi-view now.

Two follow up questions
Instead of the Panasonic -

Can I use a
AJA HDP2 HD-SD/SDI to DVI-D Converter?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/626535-REG/AJA_HDP2_HDP2_HD_SD_SDI_to...

to connect the switcher to the 42” plasma?

And can I just use a SDI-to-SDI cable to connect the switcher to the Panasonic BT-LH1710W 17" Widescreen HD/SD LCD Video Monitor?

If not I’ll get the Panasonic -

Will this one card allow me to send the DVI signal to the 42” plasma and the component signal to the 17” monitor? At the same time?

I'd like to record to an AJA Ki PRO which has SDI in -- so I assume I can just use a SDI to SDI cable?

Thanks again

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Feb 1, 2011 at 8:55:04 pm

AV-HS04M5

is the part number of the DVI output board. This will feed your mutliviewer monitor (your Plasma). There is no reason to get the AJA converter to convert SDI to HDMI - use the Panasonic DVI output option for this.

You don't feed the 17" monitor with the multiviewer output. You feed the SD-SDI or HD-SDI output from your switcher to the 17" monitor. This is your main program out - NOT the multiviewer output. the AJA Ki Pro can be feed with the same SD-SDI or HD-SDI output from the switcher.

You get two SDI outputs standard from Panasonic - one feeds your Ki Pro, the other feeds your 17" monitor.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Feb 2, 2011 at 2:11:49 pm

Thank you so much, Bob. Going with all your advice. SDI as much as possible. DVI out board for 42" monitor. SDI for 17" and Ki Pro. and AJA HDMI in and SDI out from cam to mixer. So hard to know without trying. Have one shot to order gear a year. You and Chuck saved me a world of hurt.

Craig

Return to posts index

Chuck Pullen
on Feb 2, 2011 at 7:22:55 pm

One last piece of advice. The Ki Pro literally has hundreds of settings' adjustment's, any of which can ruin your recording if set wrong. I would seriously consider hooking that 17" to the output of the Ki Pro as a "confidence monitor" to know that you are actually recording and can playback what you recorded. If that monitor has two inputs, you can also use line A as the switcher, and Line B as Ki Pro output.

Chuck

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Feb 3, 2011 at 4:37:34 am

Yeah, the panasonic has 2 sdi in and the ki pro has sdi out.

So that makes sense. Not sure if the ki pro would pass the signal through to the monitor even if the settings are wrong. Are you sure the ki pro out is what you see is what gets recorded?

Return to posts index

Chuck Pullen
on Feb 3, 2011 at 7:12:54 pm

I don't think it's pass through, but that's the way I have mine wired. I always make it a habit to record a few minutes of bars/tone, rehearsal, camera test, whatever; and play it back to make sure everything is set up properly. I know that at the very least if something major is wrong you will probably catch it that way, plus the talent always wants to see what they did after it's over!

Chuck

Return to posts index

ted irving
on Jul 27, 2011 at 3:44:38 pm

HI Bob, I'm trying to get help with our new AV-HS400A. Your post was the only I found on Creative Cow so, I hope you don't mind me bugging you. I can't seem to find a CG for this particular switcher. What are you using to bring in overlays, banners, lower 3rds and animations to the AV-HS400A? We have a Globecaster that was used with our now defunct Abekas 8150, but the engineer we hired can't seem to find how to get the Globecaster alpha out to the AV-HS400A. Any leads you can give me would be great! Thanks

Ted Irving
Content Freelancer
Media Instructor
http://www.tedtv.tv
tedirving@yahoo.com

Return to posts index

Ray O'Connor
on Aug 15, 2013 at 8:38:45 pm

Hi,
I tried to install a DVI input board in the HS400 and the switcher did not recognize it. Its the HS04M3 board
and I powered off, installed the board and powered back on. I went through the settings but nothing seemed to work. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks,

Ray O'Connor
R&B Productions, Inc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]