FORUMS: list search recent posts

MiniDV commercial delivery question...

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Po
MiniDV commercial delivery question...
on Jan 25, 2011 at 2:04:23 am

So, I'm delivering a commercial to a station that accepts miniDV.

I will be delivering on miniDV.

They require the show to be shot and edited on "broadcast quality" equipment (specifying Betacam SP or Professional DV formats as a minimum). Of course the commercial was shot on miniDV with a DVX100 (what I consider a non-professional format) and therefore "not acceptable". But the fact that they allow delivery on miniDV implies to me that, they wouldn't even know the difference whether it was shot on miniDV or something else. This statement begs the question though, how does video compress to miniDV? Would something shot on say, digibeta exported to a miniDV tape in theory provide the same quality as something shot on miniDV and exported to miniDV?

So after those questions get answered. In your professional opinion (not taken as a fact) what are the chances this small cable channel even cares?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: MiniDV commercial delivery question...
on Jan 25, 2011 at 3:40:56 pm

[Dave Po] "...what are the chances this small cable channel even cares?"

I'd say the chances are slim and none. I suspect they simply want to ensure that the spot looks okay if they give it a quick look-see on a vectorscope and waveforem monitor. It sounds as if you'll make sure that happens.

If you aren't forced to deliver on mini-DV, why not deliver the spot in a codec they'll accept, burned to a Data DVD? Then your work won't endure the recompression to the DV codec, which is just God-awful for graphics; I don't think I've ever seen a spot that didn't contain some.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jan 25, 2011 at 4:20:10 pm

The smaller the station, the more likely it is that they don't have the right gear or manpower to handle numerous format conversions. They are asking for a DV25 format like DVCPro25 or Sony's version of the same thing, DVCam25, these decks play each competitor's tape formats but can only record in their own format. They will also, with an adapter cartridge, play a Mini-DV which is also DV25.

The cameras they specified are broadcast-quality analog format cameras, but they use big sensors and big lenses, and generally are used in a context of pro lighting and sound gear as well, this is what the station was getting at, because home camcorders running in DV25 format have pitiful image gathering qualities by comparison. It's not the codec in this case, but the camera that made the difference. The betacam, dubbed to a DV25 format tape, will look better than a master made from the consumer grade home camcorder in the same format.

Practically speaking, you really don't know,or want to know, how the sausage is made at the station. Since play to air these days is about 99 percent done from a hard drive based server, your DV25 tape is going to be played into some kind of converter/compressor system, either an NLE workstation or more likely some video card connected to the server. It will take an analog output of the station's DV deck, re-digitize that into probably mpeg2 I'm guessing. That mpeg file will then be played to air.

Theoretically, if YOU did that compression yourself, taking great pains to keep quality high, it would behoove the station to take your data DVD disk and import the stuff direct to their server.

However, everything I've ever heard about small market stations is that this is almost never done. Their workflow is set in stone so that any dummy can execute the work to a basic and uniform standard, and any process that's not part of the daily approved workflow, even a superior process like importing your files from a data DVD or portable hard drive, well, they don't like square mpegs in their round holes.

Master in highest quality, but resign yourself to your "baby" getting badly mauled on the path to the final destination.

Return to posts index

Chuck Pullen
on Jan 25, 2011 at 6:56:38 pm

I'm in total agreement with Mark. The only thing I would add, is to check and see what other DV formats the accept. I was delivering on Mini-dv for a while, then found out they also could accept DVCAM. I purchased a 1000 deck and a bunch of tapes on E-bay, and for a small investment, the final product looked that much better.

Chuck

Return to posts index

Chad Brewer
on Jan 27, 2011 at 12:55:36 am

Mark has a great quote here:

"Practically speaking, you really don't know, or want to know, how the sausage is made at the station."

Hopefully nobody who acquires and edits video at high quality and delivers spots for broadcast while not knowing that most of it ends up as MPEG2 is reading this.

This is the perfect reason to make sure you show your client your final deliverable in a proper monitoring situation before it goes to air. That way, when your client sees it on TV and says it doesn't look right, you can say "hey, wasn't me."

One of my personal favorites is when I see a spot on a national network's SD channel that is anamorphic.

Chad Brewer
Senior Broadcast Videotape Operator
TeleVersions, LLC

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jan 27, 2011 at 3:02:08 pm

[Chad Brewer] "One of my personal favorites is when I see a spot on a national network's SD channel that is anamorphic."

I am working as hard as I can to popularize this great blog post by Ross Daly [link]:
Today a co-worker and I were discussing the need for a word to describe a video that is simultaneously letterboxed and pillarboxed. I dislike that particular lapse in effort so much that the word “Litterboxed seemed to be the best fit. So there. Run wild with it, internets.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Tom Matthies
on Feb 6, 2011 at 4:26:15 am

Litterboxed!
I love it. I will now use that term when describing the Letterboxed/Pillerboxed effect to my clients. I had been describing it as "Postage Stamped" but litterboxed is more descriptive when explaining to them just how crappy it will look.
Tom

E=MC2+/-2db

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]