FORUMS: list search recent posts

17"-20" LCD Monitor for HD Editing

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Mercer
17"-20" LCD Monitor for HD Editing
on Jan 21, 2011 at 8:20:06 pm

Hi all.

I know the question's been asked, and that there are no ideal solutions for under $1000, but I'm going to ask anyway.

Are there any 17"-20" LCD monitors that anyone here knows about/uses that has decent resolution and has reasonably accurate colors? I'm a videojournalist who would like to move from previewing on my Macbook Pro to a separate LCD.

However, I'll be taking the screen with me to Central America, and will need to lock it away in a safe fairly regularly as the town where I'll be living is pretty rife with break-ins (lovely I know).

Thanks for any/all advice!

Dave

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
Re: 17"-20" LCD Monitor for HD Editing
on Jan 30, 2011 at 8:41:06 pm

The problem lies in how to get a TV signal to the monitor. The Matrox MXO External HD and SD Video Output for Mac is $1000. From there you can use a panasonic plasma which if properly calibrated will give you good results. Together we're looking at almost $2000. If you do a search for MXO, you'll see I was asking about this very topic and came to this very conclusion. There just is no way out the macbook pro alone that gives you a real TV picture. If you just want extra space for edit windows then its easier and cheaper.

Now if you want to use your express card slot (if you have one) then you can use the mxo mini for laptops and that will come to only $500. But I like to use my express card slot for my media drive raid.

Also I'd suggest getting a portabrace bag to store the monitor in so you don't scratch it going in and out of safe.

OSX 10.5.8; MacBookPro4,1 Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5 GHz
; Camcorders: Sony Z7U, Canon HV30/40, Sony vx2000/PD170; FCP certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]