FORUMS: list search recent posts

Solid State for Broadcast

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew Sonnenfeld
Solid State for Broadcast
on Jan 13, 2011 at 10:04:43 pm

Hello all,

My company is producing a cooking show for national broadcast and we are looking to move into a solid state workflow for our next season, possibly based around a Sony PMW-F3 once it is released or the Panasonic AG-AF100. The program is a food education, reality show, involving travel and original footage combined with archival footage, much like American Eats and Unwrapped.

Unfortunately, as far as we are concerned, we are required to submit camera masters on tape to the network. Does anyone have any experience with these sort of limitations? To work around this, and for archival, we have been investigating LTO data tape. Has anyone seen this to be acceptable for deliverables? Or is it ever worth it to output to tape from a hard drive? We are using Avid Media Composer systems with a Unity drive and currently shooting on Panasonic HDX900's. Furthermore, would people expect a camera like the F3 or AF100 to perform on a show of this nature?

Thank you!
Matt

Return to posts index

Matthew Sonnenfeld
Re: Solid State for Broadcast
on Jan 13, 2011 at 10:50:42 pm

Okay, we know for a fact that LTO data tape will not be acceptable. It needs to be some version of standard tape.

Return to posts index

Sam Cole
on Jan 13, 2011 at 11:17:31 pm

We here make a living out of transfering XDCAM HD and SxS memory cards to HDCAM so it is not an unusual workflow considering its transferring 21st century technology back to 20th century technology.

Sam Cole
On line Mastering Facility
FCP, Avid, Adobe
Sydney, Australia

Return to posts index

Matthew Sonnenfeld
on Jan 13, 2011 at 11:24:15 pm

Good to know. I'm just curious... which decks are you using? Also, what would be the order of your workflow?

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jan 13, 2011 at 11:52:06 pm

Matthew,
you are very innocent.

You write -
"Unfortunately, as far as we are concerned, we are required to submit camera masters on tape to the network. "

REPLY -
you do not get to choose your tape delivery format. The specific network that you are working with will TELL YOU exactly what they want, and the specs that they want. I just did the Dinsey Christmas Parade for ABC network, and you will deliver a Panasonic AJ-HD3700 D5 tape, with 8 channels of audio - END OF STORY. They will not accept an HDCam, HDCam SR, or DVCProHD tape done on a AJ-HD1400. You buy this deck, or you RENT THIS DECK. End of story - you dont' like this fact, then you don't get to do the job.

There are always posts like "gee, what do you think I should do for this broadcast show when I deliver ?". There is only one answer, and there is ALWAYS ONLY ONE ANSWER. You call the network, or station and you ask "what is your delivery requirement". In most cases, they will send you a document that specifically outlines what their exact delivery spec is.

Relying on an answer from Creative Cow is rediculous.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Kris Anderson
on Mar 22, 2011 at 7:07:27 am

Bob is totally correct. You deliver what they say, no questions asked.

If it helps, I'm in Sydney and have a Panasonic AJ-HD3700B for hire if needed.

Return to posts index

Kris Anderson
on Mar 22, 2011 at 7:06:22 am

btw... they aren't "limitations" as such... they're how the networks function. No Australian network will accept a data master. Always tape.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]