FORUMS: list search recent posts

Asking for recomendation on Video Switcher.

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Febry Suhartono
Asking for recomendation on Video Switcher.
on Jan 5, 2011 at 8:51:09 am

Hai,

I'm looking for a video switcher my specification:
1. 8 video input, composite.
2. Have internal memory for storing logo (i used targa now for
animated logo).
3. Reliable enough for 24/7 operation.
4. Chroma Key (i think most of switcher / mixer has this)
Is there any recomendation for me about this video switcher?

It's hard for me to find the 8 composite input because of the vendor that i ask told me that now they use SDI.

If anybody can help me, please.

Thank you

Benji ^_^

Return to posts index

David Shulkin
Re: Asking for recomendation on Video Switcher.
on Jan 5, 2011 at 2:44:36 pm

Outside of the used market, SDI is the standard for production switchers. If you are finding composite/component switchers on the used market - keep in mind that parts can be limited for repair.
I know Edirol has an 8-channel - but not sure on the other requirements.

Since you are stuck on composite, you might want to seriously consider NewTek's Tricaster - won't give you all of the inputs (6), but if your inputs are other than live feed it will cover all of your other bases.

If budget is flexible, it may be worth converting your composite signals to SDI and then your switcher becomes increasingly easier (and future proof).

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jan 6, 2011 at 5:32:52 pm

Newtek Video toaster is the Tricaster's big bro, it will have the 8 inputs and everything else you wanted, and it will be cheaper I think than a stand-alone switcher-only.

Return to posts index

Febry Suhartono
on Jan 25, 2011 at 8:58:33 am

Hai,

thank you for the input.

I already try to contact the NewTek's Tricaster.

Can i use a converter from composite to sdi if i buy sdi video switcher?
And, any recommendation for the converter?

Thanks

Benji ^_^

Return to posts index

David Shulkin
on Jan 26, 2011 at 3:04:30 pm

Benji ^_^
If you are considering the budget range of the 16 input Panasonic, then you options increase tremendously. Having said that, the Panasonic is great for the conversion from composite to SDI without external boards. Again, if this is your budget range then you need to consider the total cost and look at Ross video's Crossover line of switchers (Ross makes one under the JVC nameplate as well). Very nice and Ross support/product is excellent. You also need to consider the Broadcast pix line of products and see what might fit.

Back to the NewTek product. Mark points out the Newtek Toaster - I thought they were replacing that product with their new HD Tricaster - just can't remember if the Toaster is still available. I often forget they have that product in their toolbox. With the Newtek product line, if you get the Studio version, you will have composite inputs and no need to convert.

IF you decide on another solution that you will need to convert your analog signals into SDI, I've personally have used Ross Gear lite, AJA mini converters, and Blackmagic-Design mini-converters solutions. You can get a variety of options from these three without breaking the bank. I can recommend all three as they have performed well. The only issues I have had was some Ross Gear lite stuff in a 24/7/356 headend and the power supplies would fail. But they weren't necessarily designed for that type of solution. Hope this helps.

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Jan 25, 2011 at 11:08:46 am

I recently got the Panasconic AW-HS50, it is awesome! - http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/706617-REG/Panasonic_AW_HS50N_Compact...

Since you need more inputs, one of these might suit you-

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/587599-REG/Panasonic_AV_HS400_AV_HS40...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/661388-REG/Panasonic_AV_HS450N_AV_HS4...

With HD/SD SDI inputs, all you need to get the SD composite signal in, is an RCA(F) to BNC(M) adapter. You can monitor with any HDMI TV through DVI output, with a DVI-D to HDMI Cable. Plus you'll be able to take HD/SDI in, with 4:2:2 10-Bit video processing if needed in the future.

Return to posts index

Febry Suhartono
on Jan 26, 2011 at 9:08:10 am

For the internal memory that the switcher has, what is it usually called in switcher datasheet?

Benji ^_^

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]