Broadcast safe discrepency in FCP

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tucker Lucas
Broadcast safe discrepency in FCP
on Jan 4, 2011 at 9:17:23 pm

Hey there,

I have a mystery I'm trying to solve.

I'm editing 16:9 Anamorphic footage in DV, and applying the broadcast safe filter as my last step (set to Conservative).

Before I master to tape, I export a full quality quicktime file at it's current settings of my timeline, then I bring back into FCP. I make two sequences: one that will maintain the anamorphic aspect ratio, and one that is 4:3. I drop the file in both (it becomes letterboxed in the 4:3), and then I apply the same broadcast safe filter to each.

Here's the issue: when I do this to the anamorphic version, everythings fine. I'm given the green okay symbol all across. When I add it to the version nestled into a 4:3 frame, it doesn't work as well. I still get yellow exclamation points from time to time. I want as far as to set the filter in the 4:3 to Extremely Conservative, and this helped a bit, but not in every part.

So any idea what's happening? It's the exact same file, just in two different sequence set ups. What would cause it to do this?

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Broadcast safe discrepency in FCP
on Jan 6, 2011 at 9:57:16 am

Hi Tucker,
One of the problems of the FCs BS filter is that uses WRONG terms.
Where says "Custom Saturation Limit" shouldn't write so.
That controls not only Saturation but the FULL COMPOSITE signal, affecting Saturation and Luma.

This is the reason why, although having the Luma filter ON (100%) the output may still be no legal.

Set CUSTON, and play with the slider "Reduce Chroma/Luma".
Cheers,
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]