FORUMS: list search recent posts

Broadcasting Specs for Music Video Submission

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Neil Redman
Broadcasting Specs for Music Video Submission
on Nov 17, 2010 at 12:19:32 pm

Hi, I have a music video that I want to send to TV Station (http://www.abc.net.au/rage/) They require a digital betacam tape, so I will get my clip transferred to one in the next days. I wanted to ask if somebody could give me a rundown of what the standards in TV production are of what I have to include on the tape and in what order and also what format to use to put it on the tape.

Do I need Bars&Tone and a clock leader? And if so for how long should they be? Also how long and where do i put the clapper with the title information and what exactly should the clapper include?

The other thing is in what format should I put the clip before having someone put it on the tape? At the moment I have it as a 720P Prores File 16:9 (actually 2.35:1 letterboxed) I heard that I have to make the footage anamorphic, but don't really know how to do that (I got Final Cut Pro and After Effects). And then if I output it, do i keep it as HD or do I output it to PAL?

I hope that somebody can answer these questions for me or maybe send me a link of a site that explains the whole process step by step, I couldn't really find anything useful so far.

Kind regards
Neil

Return to posts index

Gary Hazen
Re: Broadcasting Specs for Music Video Submission
on Nov 17, 2010 at 4:07:53 pm

I will get my clip transferred to one in the next days

If you're going to a post house to have the file transferred to DigiBeta then they can answer your questions.

Broadcasters usually have a spec sheet that outlines the delivery requirements.

Here's a general guidline:

Bars & Tone: 1 min.
Slate (aka clapper): 10 sec.
Slate Info: Title, Duration, Date, Audio (stereo, Dolby, etc.), Production Company. Any other critical information that you might want attached.
Black: 5-10 seconds between the slate and program.

do i keep it as HD or do I output it to PAL?

Given that they are asking for a Digibeta tape you will be delivery standard definition (PAL).

I have to make the footage anamorphic

The post house can help with this. Make sure that the label & slate indicate that the material is anamorphic. Often stated as Full Height Anamorphic.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]