FORUMS: list search recent posts

Creating a spinning logo for video podcast

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Harout Grigoryan
Creating a spinning logo for video podcast
on Nov 11, 2010 at 4:54:56 am

I need to create spinning logo for my broadcasting class's video podcasts which will be slowly spinning on the bottom right of the show kind of like CNN or FOX news channels. We use final cut pro. I know how to use animation programs like Maya and Matrix/rhino but I am not sure how I would be able to get this spinning on the screen.
At first I thought of creating and recording it spinning on Maya but then this would be a looping video and the things behind the video box would not be visible on the show.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Creating a spinning logo for video podcast
on Nov 12, 2010 at 7:58:03 pm

Yes, you can make this in Maya if that is where you are comfortable. Try rendering it out as a series of still frames in tif or png format, with colors set to millions, so you can keep an alpha channel with it. Bring that into Final Cut. Or export an mov file of it with alpha channels enabled. You can also render the logo out with a background of chromakey green and get your transparency that way.... or ernser against pure black or pure white and use a luminance key to remove the background later.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Creating a spinning logo for video podcast
on Nov 12, 2010 at 8:06:12 pm

You can make this even simpler if you export one frame of this logo into photoshop, save it as tif, put a second layer under it, erase everything in the bottom layer, save as tif with layers rpeserved, or as photoshop psd file with alyes preserved.

Import this still into final cut and save it to the project.

Double-click the thing, set a two-second clip duration, and now in the "motion" tab, you have some keyframe controls. The keyframing is just like what you are used to in 3-D programs, more or less. You can use a rotation command to make the logo edge-on, set a keyframe, advance two seconds, turn the logo 180 degrees to reach the opposite edge, set the last keyframe, done. Now just select that clip, and copy-paste it to the timeline as many times as you like to make it loop.

If you forgot to save an alpha channel, you can still make this work, by changing the blend mode of the clip, go to Modify>Blending Modes, and try the options there. You'll have to adjust opacity in the motion tab for some of them to work well.

You can also do this project with more ease and precision in Apple Motion, and generate a rendered looping clip that's long as you'll ever need it to be...

You are literally drowning in various methods to achieve this effect. Pick one and try it out. They are all fun.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]