FORUMS: list search recent posts

Computer LCD as a reference

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Nicastro
Computer LCD as a reference
on Oct 22, 2010 at 9:07:11 pm

So I just saw a post asking about using an old computer CRT monitor as a reference monitor. And it got me thinking, what about using a computer LCD monitor as reference?

I am about to take delivery of a brand new Final Cut Pro system with the AJA Kona LHi card installed. For monitors, the vendor company building the system included three HP 2475w computer monitors. Two are for the system and the third is to be used as a broadcast reference monitor. I know they'll be great for computer use, but I'm worried they won't be great for broadcast use. Thoughts? Opinions?

Return to posts index

Gary Hazen
Re: Computer LCD as a reference
on Oct 23, 2010 at 3:01:13 pm

The vendor needs an education. HP offers a DreamColor monitor (LP2480zx) which is capable of working in 709 colorspace. The HP 2475w is an inferior display compared to the DreamColor. Using a computer display, even a high quality display like the DreamColor, can be sketchy compared to using a monitor designed to monitor video.

Here's an old thread on the DreamColor
http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/223/8624

Here's an article on the DreamColor
http://library.creativecow.net/articles/garchow_jeremy/HP_DreamColor_CRT_Re...

If the budget can afford it I would have a look at a Flanders Scientific monitor.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Computer LCD as a reference
on Oct 23, 2010 at 3:28:19 pm

Eric -
have you ever seen a Broadcast monitor ? Do you know what it does ? Do you know what HD-SDI is, and what it is used for ? Perhaps your company injests video from P2 or XDCam EX or Canon cameras, and all you make are video's for the web. Then you don't need an AJA card, you dont' need a broadcast monitor. If you have ever been in a situation that requires professional video, with broadcast standards, possibly videotape delivery, and the ability to actually see the image you are working with correctly, so you can color grade, detect errors, and deliver with confidence, then a broadcast monitor is essential. But perhaps Gary, myself, and others reading this (and possibly snickering), don't realize that your requirements are for web only, where your computer monitor is more than enough for what you are doing. Anyone who would ask this question has never worked in professional broadcast enviornment (like a post production house or TV station), so perhaps you simply don't need a broadcast monitor - or even the AJA card.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]