Camcorder FCP

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jay Els
Camcorder FCP
on Sep 29, 2010 at 4:45:26 pm

Hi,

Wondering if anyone had any advice on the following:

We are looking to buy a *consumer* HD camcorder to give to contributors in our programmes, when they are to do filming themselves (video diaries etc.). It seems quite hard to get information on the codecs, and how easily we would be able to import them into FCP - for example, it would be great to avoid having to use an external converter such as Mpeg streamclip. Any suggestions?

Cheers.

Return to posts index

Tyler Ries
Re: Camcorder FCP
on Oct 1, 2010 at 6:11:02 am

You should be able to use the Log and Transfer function in FCP. It works the same way as Log and Capture, but reads the video files from your media and not a tape deck/capture card. The Log and Transfer should convert the files as you log them.

Also, the station I work for does a similar thing and we found that the Flip HD cameras work pretty well. They have simple use (point and shoot) as well as internal memory, a battery and they are super cheap (compared to other HD consumer cameras). Just a though ...

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Oct 1, 2010 at 3:30:40 pm

I think what he's saying is that flip cams record in h.264 or AVCHD, and those don't play well with others on a Final Cut timeline... yet.

I understand these formats are already good to go formats in Adobe Premiere's latest version, and I'm hoping the next version of FCP catches up because that delay to convert the footage before you can cut it is a killer.

Return to posts index

Jay Els
on Oct 4, 2010 at 5:57:19 pm

Yeah - this exactly - obviously you can get all the formats in, but as we find with our headcam (gopro hero HD), conversion is just an extra hurdle it would be easier to avoid.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 4, 2010 at 6:09:56 pm

Then don't use FCP: use a different editing application that can accept all these file types, such as the latest version of Premiere Pro. Sony Vegas may also work.

If you have no other choice but to use FCP, you'll have to bite the bullet.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]