FORUMS: list search recent posts

Transition from reality TV to narrative?

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Moorhead
Transition from reality TV to narrative?
on Sep 5, 2010 at 3:38:56 pm

I couldn't find a thread on this elsewhere, so I figured this would be the best category.

I've been editing reality television for 10 years and I've done some feature and short film work on the side. What I'd like to do is transition to narrative television. Has anyone here done that? I'm trying to figure out what stigmas, if any, will need to be overcome, how to pitch myself to post houses in LA, etc.

If anyone has advice on this, I'd love to hear it.

Thank you in advance!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Transition from reality TV to narrative?
on Sep 6, 2010 at 7:54:19 am

Tough...tough. You have to be known...people have to want you. So you need to have proven yourself as a narrative editor in that chosen genre (someone who edits Malcom in the Middle doesn't really work on Law & Order). Or they are an assistant who has cut a few scenes and earned the respect of the editors and producers who now recommend that they move up. So if you shift, you might be looking at starting as an assistant again...to get your foot in the door.

I know...I am trying to get back into it after 6 years in documentary. I have experience cutting narrative...and shows that aired. But the companies I did it for, the show runners retired, or moved...and one bridge was burned (no details)...so to get back in, I need to get known...so I need to start over somewhat...as an assistant. Unless you happen to know a producer who likes your work and wants to hire you. You gotta be wanted...sought after.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Craig Moorhead
on Sep 6, 2010 at 1:25:10 pm

Thank you, Shane. That's great info! And it fits in with what I figured - that a reel of reality, no matter how strong, probably won't get me very far. But that's paying your dues.

Speaking of dues - I assume you're union? If so, with what guild?

Also? Great blog!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 6, 2010 at 6:45:10 pm

Motion Picture Editors Guild, Local 700.

Thanks for the blog shout out...

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Craig Moorhead
on Sep 6, 2010 at 7:05:59 pm

Thank you, Shane. Very helpful stuff...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]