FORUMS: list search recent posts

Re: The importance of monitor calibration

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jan Gallasch
on Aug 13, 2010 at 8:42:51 am

Hey guys,

i'm a long time reader but first time poster, so don't be too hard on me ;-). Yesterday i posted the following as a reply to an article Bob Zelin wrote 3 years ago, regarding the proper callibration of monitors:

http://magazine.creativecow.net/article/the-importance-of-monitor-calibrati...

Since i did not get an answer (no hard feelings, i know it's a very old article), i decided to just post the reply in here, so there you go guys, have at it!

Dear Bob,

i'm not sure that you are going to read this reply to an article you wrote three years ago, but i'll give it a shot.

First off, let me give you a little inside on who i am what i do. I study 'Film Production' at a college in Munich, Germany, but i have a little bit of experience in the post production field. I do not (by all means) consider myself to be a professional editor nor a proffesional Grader, but i have edited and Color graded a handfull of short movies.
At home i have a workstation running an Intel Core I7 2,66 GHZ, 16 MB Ram and a consumer grade Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT graphics card, with HDMI/DVI/VGA outputs and two no name 21" Monitors.

Since i am planning on doing some light Grading work at home (only HD Material), i want to get myself a new monitor, but of course my budget is VERY limited.
I know that unless i use a professional broadcast monitor i will never able to view a correct image, and that is not what i expect from a monitor in my price range. What i want and what i need is just some safety that what i see is at least close to what i would see on a broadcast monitor - which means that i need to get myself a monitor that i can calibrate properly.
In your article you talk about the Dell 2407WFP (calling it a 'cheap very good HD Monitor', which is exactly what i need) which i can get for around 300$ (used). But that recommendation is 3 years old - so my question is:

knowing what i want to do, and knowing the fact that i'm a poor bastard ;-), which monitor would you recommend today?

Thanks in advance,
Jan

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Aug 13, 2010 at 12:51:36 pm

so you want to know what monitor to buy today ? The world has changed dramatically in 3 years, and monitor technology is very different today than 3 years ago. Also delivery today is often done via the web, with critical NTSC and PAL grading not as critical for many users.

With that said, CRT's are no longer used by 99% of the people out there, and in my opinion, there is no reason to buy an old CRT, because your color grading will not correspond to your audience that will view their image on a LCD or Plasma display.

So, what's a great "inexpensive" LCD monitor - the HP Dreamcolor is about $2000 US. LCD monitors from JVC, Panasonic, Sony, FSI, TV Logic, CineTal, eCinema, and others are all still over $3000. However, today, you can get wonderful 42" Plasma displays for under $1000 (like the Panasonic TH42 series) that are widely used by Broadcast facilities on a budget (and used as client monitors for those guys that have the expensive LCD monitors on their desk).

But if you are saying "look, I still have no money, what great monitor can I get, and calibrate, that will cost me under $300" -
I only have the same answer I had for you 3 years ago.

It is my advice to you, that you find a job at a facility, that has wonderful equipment. Work late hours, and use their expensive equipment to color grade your personal project.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

maurice jansen
on Aug 13, 2010 at 7:51:59 pm

Hi Jan

we recently installed a few Eizo-CG223W. price under 1000Euro.
very nice monitor for it's money. and absoluty good for your job.

http://www.eizo.com/global/products/coloredge/cg223w/index.html

grt
Maurice

People saying they don't make mistake's often make nothing at all!

Return to posts index

Jan Gallasch
on Aug 15, 2010 at 6:49:48 pm

hey guys,

first of all: thanks for your answers!

@ Bob: i read about the HP Dreamcolor, but 2000$ (+300$ for the calibration unit) is too much money for me.

@ Maurice: i also read about the Ezio. Can you tell me how exactly it is calibrated? As far as i know, it has this "EIZO ColorNavigator" Software to do teh calibration work. How is that working out for you? Can i Calibrate the monitor "manualy"? (= does it have a blue only mode?)

@ topic: just to throw another one in mix: is there anyone out there who owns/works with a SONY LMD-2030W? Any experiences?

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Aug 15, 2010 at 8:45:34 pm

I think that the Sony LMD series of monitors is the worst of any LCD monitor on the market (except for Marshall LCD monitors). You are better off with any other brand.

This monitor is $1229 in the US, making it one of the least expensive "professional" monitors, but is a 1650x1080 resolution LCD monitor, with no SDI input (it's an option card - Sony BLM-320D).
You can get better performance from most 42" Plasma displays today, for dramatically less money.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

maurice jansen
on Aug 16, 2010 at 8:07:02 pm

hi jan

as it is a plain monitor made for the graphic's world it does not support blue only. as far as i know the software support various probe's to coloranalyze the display. it has a factory LUT for the 709 colorspace.
if your budget is so limited i guess a coloranalyzer is a bit out of range though ;-0 and maybe also a bit overdon

keep your budget and your market in mind.

grt
Maurice

People saying they don't make mistake's often make nothing at all!

Return to posts index

David Shulkin
on Aug 19, 2010 at 10:54:28 pm

I second Bob's thoughts on the Sony LMD's. I have four of them in 17" and 23" (HD & SD-SDI inputs). DO NOT waste your money for any color grading! I have no problem with them for our production and confidence monitoring (as I know the limitations), but would not recommend for this application.

Return to posts index

Jan Gallasch
on Aug 20, 2010 at 10:57:49 am

Hey guys,

thanks for the answers. Since there's nothing out there that does what i want it to do (at least not for my current budget), and i don't want to go for a half assed solution, i'm gonna wait two to three months, save my money and probably buy a Flanders LM-1760W.
Any thougths?

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Aug 25, 2010 at 2:39:37 pm

[Jan Gallasch] "Since there's nothing out there that does what i want it to do (at least not for my current budget), and i don't want to go for a half assed solution, i'm gonna wait two to three months, save my money and probably buy a Flanders LM-1760W. Any thougths?"

Flanders makes nice monitors, and they are all great values.

I didn't see a capture card (AJA, Blackmagic Design, or Matrox) in your system specs above. You'll need one to feed your FSI.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]