FORUMS: list search recent posts

How often do you replace your editing computer?

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Guthrie Andres
How often do you replace your editing computer?
on Aug 10, 2010 at 6:14:24 pm

The editing computers where I work are 5-year-old powermac G5's. They are fine for editing DV footage, but crawl with compression to H.264 and also with footage from our new 7D. Also they can't run the latest Final Cut Studio or Adobe Creative Suite. We are going to replace them this year. Just out of interest, how often do you upgrade your editing hardware?
-Guthrie

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: How often do you replace your editing computer?
on Aug 10, 2010 at 7:13:04 pm

you have answered your own question. People replace their editing computers when they can't run the software they want to. No one wanted to get rid of their G5 computers, but it just won't run any of the new software, and doesn't have the PCIe slots for any of the new inexpensive capture cards, or drive arrays.

This applies to PC AVID's as well - no one wants to get rid of a HP xw8200 that runs Media Composer 2.8 - but it won't work with Media Composer 5.0, which requires a new computer.

If you can't deal with the fact that your entire financial investment will be worthless in 5 years (and the time span is getting shorter every year), then you should not be in this business, or certainly not invest in equipment.

It is very emotional for most people (including me) to realize that the fortune of money they just spend for "product x" is worthless, and has almost no resale value 5 years later.

There is no such thing as "vintage" video gear, unlike certain items in the audio business.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Aug 10, 2010 at 9:57:14 pm

I think if it pays for itself in two years, every day you keep it after that is a bonus. Corporate folks tend I think to replace desktops every 2 to 4 years, it partly has to do with their accounting practices, and how they deal with depreciation, as well as actual technical needs.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 11, 2010 at 12:33:33 am

What Bob said. I replace the machine when the one I am using can't deal with the new camera or footage that someone yahoo has come up with. I was on my G5 and powerbook for a long time...until AVCIntra and AVCHD came out.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Aug 11, 2010 at 5:35:28 pm

[Bob Zelin] "you have answered your own question. People replace their editing computers when they can't run the software they want to."

I agree with Bob.

Looking back, this has been about every 3 years for me.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Joey Burnham
on Aug 11, 2010 at 6:05:32 pm

I burned through 3 mac towers in about 9 years so I'm agreeing with Walter. Besides the software issues, the amount of strain you put on the boards also comes into play.
Joey

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]