FORUMS: list search recent posts

If tape is dead!!! Recording deck suggestions appreciated

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Heath
If tape is dead!!! Recording deck suggestions appreciated
on Aug 4, 2010 at 7:58:33 pm

Hi,

I am looking for suggestions. I need a recoding deck in our TV studio to replace our miniDV. I have been hearing that tape is dead since 2005. I am interested in hearing what others are doing to replace tape recorders in the studio not the field.

Broadcast pix slate 1000 switcher.

Thank you!
Jeff

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: If tape is dead!!! Recording deck suggestions appreciated
on Aug 4, 2010 at 9:41:15 pm

Depends on what you need to play back. HD? SD still?

And those who say tape is dead are WHOLLY mistaken. I deliver HDCAM SR and Digibeta and BetaSP constantly.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Aug 5, 2010 at 12:58:34 am

Jeff -
why did you state "Broadcast Pix Slate 1000 switcher" in your signature ? You can record video right to the Broadcast Pix with it's clip player (if you have the option). Then you can send those files out (via ethernet or SDI) to an editing system, or broadcast playout server. You own the product to record with.

Tape is not dead. However, reading the manual, and the brains of their users is dead.

Want another easy suggestion, that is inexpensive, great, and just like a tape machine - record onto an AJA Ki Pro (under 4 grand).

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

grinner hester
on Aug 8, 2010 at 3:48:47 pm

What you master to has to do with your delivery needs. I'd not listen to babble of dudes who don't know what they are talking about regarding tape being dead since '05. Folks will always milk old gear until it croaks. Why? Cuz it was freakin' expensive, man.

Return to posts index

Joey Burnham
on Aug 11, 2010 at 6:09:17 pm

Tape is dead? Ahhh! They're zombies all over my desk!!

Tape might be dead for consumers but no WAY is tape dead in the professional / studio market. Actually tape MIGHT have been dying if HD hadn't come along, but the studios don't want to pay to put in HD fiber lines and they definitely don't want to download a 15 GB uncompressed trailer. HDSR and D5 are very, very, very alive. Digi and Beta SP are still very much kicking too.

Joey

Return to posts index

Guthrie Andres
on Aug 27, 2010 at 8:49:03 pm

My small-time college channel just replaced a massive Panasonic DVCPro deck with an AJA Ki Pro and couldn't be happier. Native ProRes recording saves massive amounts of time, and it has just about any input and output you could want. They even make a solid state drive module for it if you intend to get rough.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]