FORUMS: list search recent posts

HD Monitoring with JVC DT-V24G1E

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Nelson
HD Monitoring with JVC DT-V24G1E
on Jul 29, 2010 at 5:43:59 pm

Hi all,

today my new JVC DT-V24G1E arrived and I got some questions about it.

I'm using an AJA Kona LHi card and have a Sony PVM-20M2E working on the second SDI-output - my new JVC working on the first SDI-Output. The second output uses the real-time down-conversion of the HD-signal.

Now what I'm wondering about: what might be the reason that the picture I see on my JVC is slightly different than the picture I see on my standard-definition Sony screen. The colors on the JVC are much brighter and there seems to be a tiny little more yellow in the bright areas. Also the red seems to be pushed a little bit more.

What could be the reason? Is it just a case of different technology? Am I totally wrong assuming that the picture on both screens should look alike? Should I give the JVC back to service and let them calibrate it?

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: HD Monitoring with JVC DT-V24G1E
on Jul 30, 2010 at 2:58:03 am

no two color monitors will look alike unless they are calibrated. Do you acutally expect a CRT monitor to look like an LCD monitor. Why do you think that your old Sony CRT monitor is accurate - it's OLD.

Is this the first time you have seen an LCD monitor vs. a CRT ?

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Bill Nelson
on Jul 30, 2010 at 8:57:24 am

Bob,

thanks for your response.

My point is that I'm having a hard time deciding which way I should go when dealing with clients sitting at my desk. To give you some more info, here's my normal workflow:

- I get TIFF-sequences out of another post-facility where they made the grading with Lustre
- I do my compositing/online stuff in After Effects
- for final online approval the client comes to my office

Now, here is where the problems begin. In the post-facility the client was looking at the grading on a class-A CRT and when he is sitting next to me I have to decide what way to go. Should I show the final online in HD on the LCD or with a PAL-downconvert on the CRT. I'm expecting that the image in grading looked more like the desaturated image that I get on my PAL-CRT, on the other hand it would be nice to use the full resolution of the HD-LCD.

I'm not really shure if my problem becomes clear, also I'm having a hard time describing it - not being a native speaker. I mean, there must be a way to present the client an image that you are almost 100% sure of WITHOUT spending a crazy amount of money for a class-A CRT? Right? Not? :)

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jul 30, 2010 at 11:54:33 pm

Bill -
do you understand that there are no more "Class-A" CRT's manufactured. It's over Bill - there are no more CRT's. There are only Plasma screens, LCD screens, and more recent LED screens and coming OLED screens. You can't buy a CRT unless you go on ebay.

With that said, if you have a $8000 CineTal LCD monitor for color grading and a $1200 Panasonic Plasma on the wall for the client monitor - do you know how you match them - YOU DONT MATCH THEM - there will be color errors between the two montiors. This existed years ago before Plasma and LCD with even hi end CRT broadcast montiors, and that is why Sony made probes for the BVM series to match the colors on the monitors.

You buy a nice big Plasma for the client, and when it comes time to color grading, you say "look at this one" - but guess what - when the client goes home to his home or office, it will still look different on his home TV or office TV (or office Plasma screen).
This is how it works everywhere.

You will never get a CRT and an LCD to match - ever.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Ermi Apostoli
on Dec 22, 2011 at 6:12:36 am

Hi Folks,
Does any one know of an in-expensive monitor probe that would reliably align JVC LCD monitors.

Thasnk you
Ermi

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]