FORUMS: list search recent posts

streaming and time lapse in HD

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hank Lam
streaming and time lapse in HD
on Jul 27, 2010 at 1:42:10 am

I am trying to put together a long term project with the final products being both a live web-stream and (later) a time lapse video. Here is what I envision:
A weather protected HD video cam (with AC power supplied) outputting an HD-SDI signal over about 100' to a PC where:
1. the 16:9 video is converted to an SD signal, encoded and streamed by Windows Media, while,
2. once every hour of every daylit day for 9-12 months, an HD image is captured to disk (sequential jpg or RAW file?). Then,
3. after the project duration, the stored stills will be imported into FCP to make an HD time lapse of the project.
I have searched but have yet to find product(s) to do this and appreciate any input.
Thank you.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: streaming and time lapse in HD
on Jul 27, 2010 at 3:37:59 pm

[Hank Lam] "...once every hour of every daylit day for 9-12 months, an HD image is captured to disk..."

And you want the whole thing to run on autopilot for 9-12 months. Good luck.

I foresee a few impediments:
Daylight Savings Time vs. Standard Time: picture-taking time changes by one hour, literally overnight.
Length of day: there's a LOT more daylight in June than there is in December in the northern hemisphere.
Latitude: length of day has a far greater range in high latitudes than low latitudes.

Happy programming.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jul 27, 2010 at 8:50:45 pm

We have done some successful time lapse in the past, using the AXIS brand webcams, which contain a built-in server that will collect and send the stills to a remote site. Our experience was SD, but high quality SD jpegs. They probalby now offer an HD version, try checking them out. There was also an outfit called something like Colorado Video; their specialty was remote webcams in remote palces, solar-powered, and using a modded motorola cell phone to transmit their still grabs. Typical use for these was remote mountail passes to check for snow drifts or landslides, as well as ermote grass landing fields that pilots could check visually before they took off.

Pelco is probably still your best bet for the secure camera container: they offer climate-controlled versions for extremes of temperature and humidity, as well as wiper blade options.

Interrupted power is going to getcha; spend what you have to, to keep the power supply steady, and always archive the footage every day.

Return to posts index

maurice jansen
on Jul 31, 2010 at 1:31:25 pm

Hi there

maybe a stupid idea but what about a DSLR.
and timelaps software to control it.

grt
Maurice

People saying they don't make mistake's often make nothing at all!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]