FORUMS: list search recent posts

7" LCD Field monitor-case suggestions?

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dixon Johnston
7" LCD Field monitor-case suggestions?
on Jul 23, 2010 at 5:12:35 pm

We have a secondary battery powered field monitor-Marshall v-R70 (V-Mount/Sony Batteries)
and are looking for a case to keep it protected and functional on location. Ive researched 2 brands, PortaBrace:

and Kata:

Although both are very different designs, either would work for our purposes. Ive only found one review-for the PortaBrace, stating the secure strap on the back doesnt account for large V-mount batteries, making it a serious design flaw. So, Im hoping there might be an opinion out there, or perhaps even an alternative, to help us make our decision. Thanks, the Cow opinions are almost always appreciated.

Dixon Johnston
Creative services Director-WRIC

Dual 2.0 G5, 4G RAM
OSX 10.4.1, FCP 5.1, QT 7
Kona2/AJA Io-Beta SX (SDI)
P2/Beta SX Acquisition/decks/card readers

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: 7" LCD Field monitor-case suggestions?
on Jul 23, 2010 at 7:32:59 pm

I can only say from my expereince of Portabrace and Kata camera bags, that apart from kata's innovation of making the interior bright colored so you can find things in it, PortaBrace cases are IMO superior overall in terms of durability, design and function. They also will customize one for you! That will cost more, obviously.

There is an old auto seat reuphostering company in my town, they will do any kind of custom sewing work to your specs, for a price, and they work with all those heavier-guage materials like cordura and whatnot. Perhaps you can take the bag that almost works, and have a similar company modify it, to allow the battery to fit better?

Return to posts index

Dixon Johnston
Re: 7" LCD Field monitor-case suggestions?
on Jul 26, 2010 at 1:21:04 pm

Thanks for the input. All our gear protection and cases are Portabrace, some of them are 20 years old and still in use (even though they look like 80s faded jeans by now). I am a fan of Portabrace, and I wouldn't have 2nd guessed the purchase if it wasn't for the significant design flaw that doesnt accommodate for large size battery that I mentioned. Having something customized or modified is a good suggestion, thanks again.

Dixon Johnston
Creative services Director-WRIC

Dual 2.0 G5, 4G RAM
OSX 10.4.1, FCP 5.1, QT 7
AJA Io-Beta SX (SDI)
P2/Beta SX Aquisition, decks, card readers

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]