FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony UVW-1400A Beta SP deck has video output but no sound.

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Courtney Hermon-Taylor
Sony UVW-1400A Beta SP deck has video output but no sound.
on Jul 21, 2010 at 11:20:56 pm

Hi there,

I have just purchased a used UVW-1400A deck to get my old commercial reel onto FCP for online uploading. Well, the picture is very beautiful, no problem there but -- NO audio. I have tried the XLR outputs, the RCA monitor output, and even the headphone jack output - zero, zip, and nada. Used multiple speakers too, just to be sure. The LEDs levels on Ch. 1 are constantly hovering around 10 whether or not there is a tape playing; Ch. 2 shows no levels at all, ever. What could be wrong? Mechanically the deck appears to function very well. Some menu setting??

Regards,
Courtney

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Sony UVW-1400A Beta SP deck has video output but no sound.
on Jul 22, 2010 at 1:30:47 pm

1) there is no audio on your tape
2) the audio cables you are using are defective
3) the UVW-1400 is broken (which is very very very common) - it's an old machine. There is no menu setting to kill the analog audio output.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jul 22, 2010 at 2:45:46 pm

Is this one of those decks that also carries audio on an FM sub?

Return to posts index

Courtney Hermon-Taylor
on Jul 22, 2010 at 6:18:09 pm

Not sure but don't think so... read the user manual, saw nothing of the sort mentioned.

Courtney Hermon-Taylor
Director, Knockdown Ginger Productions

Return to posts index

Courtney Hermon-Taylor
on Jul 22, 2010 at 3:08:53 pm

Thanks Bob. I tried several different tapes that are known to have audio on them and the cables are all brand new (well, except the phone to RCA one I used to try to test the headphone jack). Thinking I'll call JW Teltronics for a repair quote as they seem very knowledgeable on these machines... unless someone can recommend a repair place in the vicinity of Detroit, MI where I live?? Shipping these babies i$ $uper expen$ive.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jul 22, 2010 at 5:24:04 pm

One last question before you pack it up: Do you get any audio or different audio needle deflections while shuttling in jog or shuttle mode? My first guess is that the audio heads are gummed up. Have you done a head cleaning on this old beast?

Return to posts index

Courtney Hermon-Taylor
on Jul 22, 2010 at 6:09:36 pm

Unlike its big bro the UVW-1800, the 1400A did not feature a jog/shuttle wheel (one could give it this capability with an optional remote). Don't hear or see any audio when FF or Rewinding. :-( I spoke with a very nice technician at JW Teltronics who told me that probably what happened was that someone overloaded the audio circuitry in the deck with a questionable/poorly grounded audio input. As I understand it, it won't be too terrible to have a place desolder and replace the audio chips on the board. For now, I'll transfer the video onto FCP and sync it with the audio from one of my VHS dubs of the projects... not ideal but enough to get my work up and out there while I wait for the deck to be fixed. Thanks again for all the suggestions!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]