FORUMS: list search recent posts

How do I clear the rights to a song for use in a local TV commercial

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Corby Anderson
How do I clear the rights to a song for use in a local TV commercial
on Jul 19, 2010 at 9:28:01 pm

Hi, I am a producer creating a commercial that will air on local network TV promoting an old folks home.

The owner is insistent on using a particular song, which is a spa meditation song. I looked up the name of the artist and the label and cant find any information about licensing. Anyone have an idea about how to go about using this song at this point?

I would research a similar tune, but the guy REALLY wants this one?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: How do I clear the rights to a song for use in a local TV commercial
on Jul 19, 2010 at 9:45:34 pm

[Corby Anderson] "I looked up the name of the artist and the label and cant find any information about licensing. "

No publisher listed? No licensing organization, e.g. ascap/bmi listed? How 'bout contacting somebody like this:http://licensemusicnow.com/index.html

[Corby Anderson] "...I am a producer creating a commercial that will air on local network TV promoting an old folks home.... The owner is insistent on using a particular song. I would research a similar tune, but the guy REALLY wants this one?"

I bet he does. Wait 'til he finds out the price tag for using it, and he'll be changing his tune... so to speak.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jul 19, 2010 at 9:50:38 pm

You can also try the site for B-Z permissions as part of your search.

Return to posts index

Corby Anderson
on Jul 22, 2010 at 7:22:04 pm

Thanks for the responses!

B-Z was helpful. Rights were estimated at $10,000 to both the songwriter and the license holder, not to mention B-Z fee. Total budget for the creation of the local spot? $600. Nice...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]