FORUMS: list search recent posts

Faux Time Slice Effect in World Cup

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonathan Fowler
Faux Time Slice Effect in World Cup
on Jul 2, 2010 at 8:53:59 pm

This may be nothing new to sports broadcasts... (I don't exactly keep up with sports - but always enjoy the World Cup). I've been trying to figure out how they're pulling off the simulated (well I assume) time-slice effects in the World Cup coverage. They basically freeze-frame a shot, "rotate" to another camera, and then continue with action. It looks really smooth - there's no way it's just interpolated - the angle changes significantly.

I'm not exactly planning on pulling this effect off, but it's one of those things that is driving me crazy. Anybody know how it's done?

Return to posts index

Chuck Reti
Re: Faux Time Slice Effect in World Cup
on Jul 3, 2010 at 4:10:42 pm

Live time-slice or "bullet time" was used by CBS (named "EyeVision") in the 2001 Super Bowl. Search wikipedia and everybody's friend, Google, for time slice or bullet time for many links. Achieved using a multi-camera array.

Return to posts index

John Heagy
Re: Faux Time Slice Effect in World Cup
on Aug 8, 2010 at 3:06:14 am

There are two ways to do this: A camera for every degree of movement as Chuck mentioned, and with just two cameras combined with a bit of 3D image mapping and morphing.

I've seen the soccer "frozen moment" and it is the two camera method. It's done with two freeze frames from two cameras at the same moment in time. The field is mapped onto a 3D plane and all the players are flat objects placed on the plane. A virtual camera then moves to the 2nd camera position. The players and field are morphed during the camera move. Watch closely and you can see the morph.

John Heagy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]