FORUMS: list search recent posts

Green Screen Homebrew - DIY retroreflector - white wall lit green

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Stickney
Green Screen Homebrew - DIY retroreflector - white wall lit green
on Jun 10, 2010 at 2:25:26 pm

Hello,

I've just been tasked with converting a 1000 m2 hanger into a sound stage in Crimea on the Black Sea.

This building itself has 12 meter high ceilings and a 5 ton rail crane in it.

I have a wall on one side of the hanger, I'd like to put a large green screen on it and do stuff like hang airplanes and cars from the crane.

Obviously, we could just paint everything green, but, if I could I'd like to be able to use the wall as a screen for projections as well.

in research, I've read a bit about the led technology, but them reflective bead embedded technology will probably not perform well with the distances and sizes I am dealing with, either a 12x6m or a 12x12 meter screen.

what I would like to know is if anyone has experience with some of the things we want to try and what would be best

a) a traditional green screen, a wall painted green (any specific color code to give to the paint shop?)

b) a white wall lit green. use a regular matte white paint and use green lighting to light it. projectors should give an even light

c) DIY retro reflector. Our idea is to use a glass sand and a reflective plastic film. For glass sand we were considering using windscreen safety glass and putting it in a ball mill to reduce the size of the particles to 1/10th a millimeter or so. This glass should crush into square particles. With this we are hoping to be able to use the screen as a projection surface and for a green screen.

I understand the technology behind the light from the led ring being reflected back at the lens at the same time it would seem that with another approach to lighting a much smaller light source could be used and still produce good results. I am also pretty sure that for telescopic shots the LEDs couldn't possibly perform as well as traditional solutions. With the building we've been given, we'd be able to work with the screen at distances up to 30-40 meters.

thanks a lot for reading my post and look forward to hearing from you. If anyone is looking for locations and inexpensive productions costs, please feel to talk to me about Crimea as a location. It's been pretty popular with the russian studios for decades, and we're seeing even American studios coming now (a new film "Soldiers of Fortune" with christian slater is being filmed here now.)
Kind regards,
David

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]