FORUMS: list search recent posts

customs documents for international travel

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Hathaway
customs documents for international travel
on Jun 10, 2010 at 4:19:32 am

So I'm about to embark on a 9 day trip to France from the US and I wanted some direction on which customs documents I need to fill out. I did this last year, but did not fill out the proper form. When I got to customs, they gave me the right one and I filled it out halfway before the stopped me and said what I had already done was fine. Anyways, I'm trying to avoid that half hour waste of time and prepare. I will be traveling with five crew members and I will be bringing along 4 gear bags and 1 personal checked bag, plus one camera bag and one laptop for carry on. Can anyone with some experience traveling internationally who is less forgetful than I shed some light on what documents I should have in hand when I walk into customs? Thanks in advance!

-Scott

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: customs documents for international travel
on Jun 10, 2010 at 2:21:15 pm

Google the word "carnet", see if that helps.

Return to posts index

David Stickney
Re: customs documents for international travel
on Jun 10, 2010 at 5:43:19 pm

Hi,

here is the carnet Mark mentioned

http://www.ambafrance-us.org/spip.php?article785

I've traveled in and out of Europe for 15 years. I know you can enter with one camera per person without a declaration. I would be more concerned if everything was new in the box, even then you can always say you are a salesperson and can bring in one of everything in your product line new in a box. The limits they put of values of stuff, is normally things you can bring in new without declaring.

To tell the truth, I don't travel with cash, cigarettes or booze and never declare anything, always the green line. When asked, what I have the answer is my personal items and stuff for my work - NOT FOR SALE - never had any issue. I've seen large crews with lots of equipment go through the same green line as me.

found this, Italy is the same as france

http://www.filminginitaly.com/production_04.aspx

The carnet is mostly for people bringing in stuff they would normally have to pay customs for, like 5 new unregistered cars for an autoshow.

Once you are inside Europe the borders are fairly transparent.

Have a nice trip!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]