FORUMS: list search recent posts

customs documents for international travel

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Hathaway
customs documents for international travel
on Jun 10, 2010 at 4:19:32 am

So I'm about to embark on a 9 day trip to France from the US and I wanted some direction on which customs documents I need to fill out. I did this last year, but did not fill out the proper form. When I got to customs, they gave me the right one and I filled it out halfway before the stopped me and said what I had already done was fine. Anyways, I'm trying to avoid that half hour waste of time and prepare. I will be traveling with five crew members and I will be bringing along 4 gear bags and 1 personal checked bag, plus one camera bag and one laptop for carry on. Can anyone with some experience traveling internationally who is less forgetful than I shed some light on what documents I should have in hand when I walk into customs? Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: customs documents for international travel
on Jun 10, 2010 at 2:21:15 pm

Google the word "carnet", see if that helps.

Return to posts index

David Stickney
Re: customs documents for international travel
on Jun 10, 2010 at 5:43:19 pm

here is the carnet Mark mentioned

I've traveled in and out of Europe for 15 years. I know you can enter with one camera per person without a declaration. I would be more concerned if everything was new in the box, even then you can always say you are a salesperson and can bring in one of everything in your product line new in a box. The limits they put of values of stuff, is normally things you can bring in new without declaring.

To tell the truth, I don't travel with cash, cigarettes or booze and never declare anything, always the green line. When asked, what I have the answer is my personal items and stuff for my work - NOT FOR SALE - never had any issue. I've seen large crews with lots of equipment go through the same green line as me.

found this, Italy is the same as france

The carnet is mostly for people bringing in stuff they would normally have to pay customs for, like 5 new unregistered cars for an autoshow.

Once you are inside Europe the borders are fairly transparent.

Have a nice trip!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved