FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony UVW 1800 Component Input

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brad Froman
Sony UVW 1800 Component Input
on May 21, 2010 at 9:52:36 pm

Wondering if anyone has ever had a problem with the component input of the UVW 1800? I moved my edit suite (FCP 3, AJA LHe) and set everything back up. Finished cutting a spot and wanted to make some BetaSP station dubs, but the deck won't receive the component signal. Composite works, S-Video works. Input switched to component gets me nothing. Is there anything for me to check? I'm sure signal path is good because I output analag RGB from AJA LHe to analog monitor, then loop out from monitor to the 1800...and nothing. (I hooked monitor feed directly into 1800 to be sure monitor didn't have a loop problem.) Very puzzled. Does Sony have any history of the 1800 doing this?

Return to posts index

Sam Cole
Re: Sony UVW 1800 Component Input
on May 22, 2010 at 6:53:41 am

Just a guess here... but make sure the Y signal is definitely connected to the 1800's Y connector as this is where the sync signal is. If it is on the wrong connector you will get nothing regardless of what the other connections are.

Also, I remember there was a trick you had to do with the reference of the deck but I can't recall what that was.

SC

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on May 22, 2010 at 2:39:59 pm

Hi Brad -
when you come out of the Y Pb Pr outputs of your Kona 3 to your monitor, you output (via the control panel) in analog component (Beta), not RGB. You change this on the analog tab in the AJA Control Panel.

With that said, if you see a picture on your TV, and not in your Beta VTR, then you have one of two problems - either you are using bad cables (specifically the Y cable, as you will still see a B+W picture even if the Pb and Pr cables are bad), or your Beta 1800 is broken.

It is unusual to see a Beta 1800 broken. All VTR's break - the 1800 is an OLD machine, as is EVERY Sony Beta VTR (like the PVW2800 and BVW75). No computer will last as long as any of the Sony VTR's, and your Sony 1800 is NOT new. If it is the VTR, it could be anything from a blown input circuit board, to a dirty INPUT select switch on the front panel. I am surprised that you are surprised that your VTR could be broken. Everything breaks, and the Sony 1800 is no exception.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Tyler Ries
on May 22, 2010 at 4:11:24 pm

I agree with Bob, double check the AJA output settings for the component video. Some monitors can handle RGB and Component on the same input. If the output signal is RGB, the monitor might see it, but the 1800 won't. Be sure the output is on Betacam Component.

Return to posts index

Brad Froman
on May 22, 2010 at 4:57:27 pm

The "Component (Beta)" setting is grayed out. Only "Component (SMPTE/EBU N10)" and "Component (RGB)" is available. Do you know how can get the "Component (Beta) option?

And not sure if this has any bearing (since it feeds analog monitor fine), but the video format is set to the project: 1080i29.97.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on May 22, 2010 at 11:39:02 pm

but the video format is set to the project: 1080i29.97.

Hi Brad -
do you know what this means ? do you know what 1080i is ? It means that you are in an HD project. The Beta VTR is not an HD VTR - it is a standard def product that works at 525 29.97. You can either switch to a standard def project (525 NTSC) or you can use the AJA Control Panel to DOWNCONVERT your 1080 project to 525, by selecting 525 as the secondary output in the ANALOG control tab in the AJA Control Panel. Now, you may be saying "what is this guy talking about, what is secondary, how to you use this control panel". I have been sitting in the house all Saturday, reading up on new products - it's now your turn. Read the .pdf manual on the AJA Kona 3 and how to use the AJA Control Panel - it will take you a couple of hours, and then you will be an expert. You can start drinking at 9pm tonight, if you are a good boy.

bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Brad Froman
on May 23, 2010 at 12:30:30 am

Yes, Bob, I was aware that the 1800 is not an HD deck. And I didn't need a drink to figure that one out. I have resolved the issue. It was settings issues within the control panel as you suggested. What wasn't making sense to me was that the component signal going to the analog monitor looked fine but sending it to the 1800 gave me nothing. So going round and round with the primary and secondary analog out on AJA eventually led me to trip over the right combination and Bingo, it all worked. Anyway, thanks so much for the tips. I'll have to buy you a drink one day.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]