FORUMS: list search recent posts

3CCD horse & wagon on broadcast motorway?

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
peter lowe
3CCD horse & wagon on broadcast motorway?
on May 1, 2010 at 5:50:34 pm

Is a 3CCD horse and wagon still a viable means of transport on the broadcast motorway?

Some years ago I invested in a Canon XM1 that I used to make documentary programs for DVDs and events that sometimes ended up being broadcast. At that time the quality of the XM1's 3CCD footage was just good enough if shot well and carefully edited to meet broadcast standard. But that was years ago.

Now I have been asked to do another small documentary film project and just found out my Canon XM1’s sensor is kaput (hot pixels), I need to get another camcorder, so like many others I am trying to figure out what is the minimum standard of system I need to invest in to be able to produce good enough footage for DVD output with the possibility if needed to be tweaked for PAL television broadcast in Europe.

Would it be a complete waste of time and effort to buy and work on this project with a used Sony VX1000 that is the most affordable option but only has 640x480 pixels or must I invest more in an entry level full HD system like the Panasonic TM300 camcorder that seems to be a serious toy? The JVC G2-HD7 has great specs and lousy reviews. Or is a used pro HDV camera a minimal requirement?

I have looked at full HD DSLR systems like the Canon 550D but they seem to require too many add-ons and have too many constraints to be used as viable tools for documentary work in the field. The Panasonic GH1 looks like one (marketing) attempt to overcome some of the limitations of this type of DSLR system but is the quality of the footage from this DSLR camera good enough to meet broadcast requirements. Probably not?

Taking all this into consideration I would be happy for any advice about if the VX1000 could still be a contender or do I need to invest in a more up to date system?

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: 3CCD horse & wagon on broadcast motorway?
on May 2, 2010 at 3:36:05 am

Why not rent?

Return to posts index

peter lowe
Re: 3CCD horse & wagon on broadcast motorway?
on May 2, 2010 at 9:55:29 am

1) renting not easy to do in west africa

2) long periods of time in remote areas would make total cost of rental higher than purchase of a used system

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]