Live HD

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jay Els
Live HD
on Apr 29, 2010 at 2:51:45 pm

Hi,

I'm in the initial stages of planning a multi-camera outdoor shoot:

This is going to be broadcast live in HD via an OB, however we would like retain the original footage if possibly (probably recording them in the camera while also taking a high quality out). The retained footage can be in a lower bitrate e.g. 35mb/s or so, or even, something nasty like HDV.

We have been initially recomended the following cameras:
Sony Z5 - I've tried to dig around as we have been told this has an uncompressed HD out, but I cannot find it on the specifications.

Panasonic P2 range - These look great on the face of it, but would cost a lot of money to hire the requisite number of P2 cards.

Are there others we should be considering - e.g. JVC HM700 - although these seem to be difficult to get to hire.

So my questions: what cameras would you recommend that could be relatively easily hired and not bigger then the cameras that I've mentioned here?

What level of compression is acceptable to go into the OB or does it have to be a uncompressed?

Many thanks for any help you can give me, as I'm hazy on compressed HD and don't have any experience of uncompressed HD.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Live HD
on Apr 29, 2010 at 3:11:26 pm

The JVC's can record iso's to a dedicated external firestore hard drive. Or you could hook your choice of cameras to the nanoflash recorder, for example. I agree that I don't think P2 cards are the right work flow for what you are doing.

Return to posts index

Chuck Pullen
Re: Live HD
on May 3, 2010 at 1:34:00 pm

I would second the JVC's. I use the 250's with firestores for isos. They produce a great live picture that gets recorded on a KiPro after going through a Panasonic 400. The Firestores can run for hours as opposed to P2 you need to stop down frequently to swap them.

Chuck

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]