FORUMS: list search recent posts

Acquisition of HD footage & SDI connectivity

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Erik Russell
Acquisition of HD footage & SDI connectivity
on Apr 26, 2010 at 4:41:43 am

Hi all,

New to COW and new to the world of HD. Trying to spec out new systems for TV/cable station.

I am going with all HPX300 & 500 cameras for the studio and one AG-HPX170 for field commercial and ENG work (all P2 storage), and planning to connect all over SDI at the station, including studio switcher and then to master control. Edit bays and audio studio will also be connected over SDI. All editing will be by FCP.

So TWO questions:

1. Since all footage is coming in P2 and being read off of a P2 drive unit, do I still need a KONA card in my MacPros? Not sure I 'get' where the KONA card (KONA3?) comes into the mix. Is THAT the SDI interface?

2. Can someone point me in the right direction to look at what is needed on the SDI networking side? I have never worked with it so not sure if it is routers, matrix switcher thingies, or what...?

Many thanks!

~ejr~
====================
Macs | FCP | Bahamas

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Acquisition of HD footage & SDI connectivity
on Apr 26, 2010 at 2:40:53 pm

[Erik Russell] "1. Since all footage is coming in P2 and being read off of a P2 drive unit, do I still need a KONA card in my MacPros? Not sure I 'get' where the KONA card (KONA3?) comes into the mix. Is THAT the SDI interface? "

Here's your first answer: Yes, you still need a Kona card or the like. It's not so much for ingest, but for playback. P2's record in an MXF file wrapper, but FCP is 100% Quicktime, no exceptions. So you need a way to get your edited footage OUT, and that's where Kona cards are necessary.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Erik Russell
on Apr 26, 2010 at 4:07:33 pm

Ahh -- that's helpful!

Thanks, Dave.

~ejr~

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Apr 29, 2010 at 1:40:42 am

Erik writes -
2. Can someone point me in the right direction to look at what is needed on the SDI networking side? I have never worked with it so not sure if it is routers, matrix switcher thingies, or what...?

Hi Erik -
you will find this insulting, but if you have never worked with routers and "matrix switcher thingies", you will never be able to build and integrate equipment like the Kona 3 into a working facility like a TV station. Every TV station has a staff engineer that knows how to do this. I am not sure if you are a sales person, or a producer, or an editor, but it is the job of an engineer to integrate an editing system into the TV stations patch bays, and router. This is a career, not something that you just throw together in 10 minutes.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]