FORUMS: list search recent posts

Plasma via HDMI for color grading

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Bruenner
Plasma via HDMI for color grading
on Apr 20, 2010 at 7:00:12 am

Hi,

I'm planning to buy a video card and a display that, while not a professional setup, will be more accurate for color grading than, say, an Apple cinema display.

I'm leaning towards a Panasonic TH-42PH12U which I'd connect via HDMI to an Intensity Pro card on my Mac Pro. So here are my questions:

1. Obviously a $750 plasma is not a broadcast monitor, but will it be more accurate than an ACD or a Dell Ultrasharp when connected via HDMI?

2. The TH-42PH12U is a 720p display. I don't mind the lower resolution, but does that cause problems when playing back 1080p footage, for example ProRes footage in a FCP timeline, or will it convert it to proper looking 720 resolution?

3. I'm a little confused as to the different Panasonic models. The TH-42PD12U(K?), which has been recommended on here, isn't on the Panasonic website. Somewhere else it says, "With the introduction of the TH-42PH12U comes the discontinuation of TH-42PH11UK HD display." So the TH-42PH12U is the way to go?

4. I don't think I'll be using the video card for capturing. So for monitoring, will there be a noticable difference in quality/accuracy between the Intensity Pro and a Matrox MXO2 Mini? I know the Intensity is an 8-bit card but is it worth spending more than twice as much on the Matrox? As I said, the idea is to get the colors in the ballpark.

5. Will the Panasonic work with programs like Nuke or Shake if it's run as a video display? What about standard programs like QT Player and DVD Player?

6. The HDMI out on the Intensity Pro uses YCbCr color space, not RGB, correct?

Sorry for the long posting. I'd greatly appreciate any thoughts to any of these questions. Thanks in advance!

Peter

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Plasma via HDMI for color grading
on Apr 25, 2010 at 8:46:54 pm

I don't have the time to answer all your questions, but here is a brief summary -
the Panasonic TH series is DRAMATICALLY better and more accurate than any computer LCD display (but not a broadcast LCD monitor - and that statement is an oxymoron to many people, Broadcast and LCD in the same sentence).

The TH42PD12UK is the cheapest unit out there (about $709 for the 42") and looks GREAT. You use component video (analog component HD) to feed it. It's teriffic, and clients love it. It has no expansion cards. At the other end of the spectrum, is the TH42PF11UK. the PF displays 1080, where the PD and other cheaper models only show 720, but scale to 1080. So, does it look teriffic anyway - YES IT DOES. If you have the two grand for the PF, then buy it, but if you dont (and you have no money)I can assure you that the TH42PD12UK is the "best value" out there.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Peter Bruenner
on Apr 25, 2010 at 10:14:38 pm

Thanks a lot for taking the time to respond. I ended up ordering the TH42PH12U (which I assume is the same as the TH42PD12UK plus HDMI connections?) which I found for less than $700, along with the MXO2 mini. Does it make any difference whether I connect via HDMI or component for grading etc?

Return to posts index

Michael Jones
on Jun 8, 2010 at 2:24:04 pm

Peter,

How did the Intensity work our for you? Did you decide to connect component or HDMI? Do you work with 1080 30p? (Does the Intensity support 30p?)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]