FORUMS: list search recent posts

Any of you kids go to NAB?

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Wilson
Any of you kids go to NAB?
on Apr 18, 2010 at 1:29:40 pm

Just curious - if you went, what did you see?

Tim Wilson
Managing Editor
Creative Cow Magazine

My Blog: "Is this thing on? Oh it's on!"

Don't forget to rate your favorite posts!

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
Re: Any of you kids go to NAB?
on Apr 18, 2010 at 2:25:09 pm

I saw that everybody and their obscure Chinese uncles were showing off fluorescent and ESPECIALLY LED lighting equipment.

I saw a little Panasonic 5-input HD-SDI video switcher the size of a book that will probably end up as the center of my ultra-portable HD production unit. I saw several HD-SDI recording solutions, one of which I need to get to record the output of the switcher.

I saw a whizzy show by the Newtek people and their latest Tricaster box. That may be an alternative to a traditional switcher and recorder. It certainly has a great deal more bang for the buck, but reliability for live-event capture is a concern.

I saw the COW magazine on magazine row, but too busy to read it yet :-(

Return to posts index

Chad Brewer
on Apr 21, 2010 at 12:53:55 am

The tragically hip, possibly ahead of the market craze was 3-D this, 3-D that. There were tons of great 2-D advancements though!! Go figure.

Chad Brewer
Senior Tape Operator/Engineer
TeleVersions

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Apr 21, 2010 at 2:02:05 am

Oh yeah, I ignored all the 3D mania. Dunno what they are thinking? If everybody is out there shooting their home movies in 3D how are they intending to exhibit it?

I even heard of somebody mounting a pair of Flip cameras side-by-side to do 3D. Insane!

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Apr 21, 2010 at 2:15:31 am

Okaaaay, I now know what you skipped...what did you see that you liked?

Return to posts index

Chad Brewer
on Apr 22, 2010 at 12:19:23 am

Hmmmm....Blackmagic Design now makes a portable version of their Ultrascope as one example. I'm trying to figure out how to narrow down what was "liked" for you considering there were around 2000 companies represented doing everything from cell phone cameras to 4K acquisition.

Chad Brewer
Senior Tape Operator/Engineer
TeleVersions

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Apr 22, 2010 at 1:06:40 am

I didn't go to NAB to see the big whizzy stuff (3D, etc.) I'll leave that to others. Surely there are many of us here who went to NAB this year?

I went to NAB to see potential pieces to put together an ultra-mobile HD production unit.

My three major contenders for switcher appear to be...

• Panasonic AW-HS50 A 5-input HD-SDI (or SD-SDI) self-contained, half-rack width switcher that runs on 12VDC and includes a multi-viewer output. $4000 http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prModelDetail?storeId=11301&catalogId=13251&itemId=406589&modelNo=Content04082010011427274&surfModel=Content04082010011427274

• Callisto Micro-HD SDI Switcher A 4-input very small HD-SDI (or SD-SDI) switcher from BrickHouse Video Ltd $5000 (The photos show 3-input, but I think they realize they can't compete with such a low input-count and they are changing to 4-in for production.) I was initially pretty excited about this product until I heard about the Panasonic switcher which seems to offer considerably more for less $$$. http://www.brickhousevideo.com/Callisto-m.htm

• Newtek VT5 or TriCaster Software-based solutions which feature way more bang for the buck than the hardware options, but at the risk of less reliability which is a concern for capturing live events. Note that with any of the hardware switchers, you get nothing like CG, virtual sets, etc. And you must find a hardware (or software?) solution for recording the live-switched program (not to mention camera iso recording). $10K (VT5 software) - $25K (TriCaster TXCD850) http://www.newtek.com/

• Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
    © 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
    [TOP]