FORUMS: list search recent posts

deflickering 50hz flicker

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Heath Cozens
deflickering 50hz flicker
on Apr 5, 2010 at 3:33:35 pm

Dear all,

Anyone got any good solutions for deflickering footage?

The shooting situation in question can be viewed here:

http://rapidshare.com/files/372160769/Sequence_02.mp4.html (note: files are limited to 10 downloads).

As you will see, the flickering only affects some of the image.

I shot this on 5D Mark II, in non-drop frame 30 fps. I should have shot at shutter-speed of 50 to match Japanese electricity, but shot at 60, I believe.

Once upon a time, I would use Donald Graft's Deflicker plugin for Virtualdub to solve such problems - but I'm at a loss this time.

I have also been in touch with the good folks at Granite Bay Software, who produce a program called GBDeflicker They say this problem is impossible to fix.

The luma needs temporal smoothing on the right of the image (fluorescent), and it doesn't matter what happens to the left because it's all good natural morning light already.

Your workaround suggestions would be sincerely appreciated.

Best regards,

Heath Cozens

Producer-shooter
Tokyo, Japan

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: deflickering 50hz flicker
on Apr 5, 2010 at 4:20:23 pm

Didn't see the sample.

Wow, that's a tough one without using a hardware based or dedicated plug-in. Is the shot needing to be fixed very long?

How are your photoshop skills? If the shot wasn't long, you might want to try exporting a frame movie or a folder of tiff or targa still image sequence files, opening them in photoshop and creating a custom batch action to level out the flicker. Batch actions in PS are a tedious but powerful tool when you can't fix something any other way, but they are labor-intensive even with extensive automation. I don't know what else could be done, I assume you already played with field order to make sure that's not an issue.

If you find a fix please post a follow-up message here for the next guy that encounters this problem. Best of luck.

Return to posts index

Heath Cozens
Re: deflickering 50hz flicker
on Apr 8, 2010 at 10:21:17 am

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the comment. It echoes what others say, too and I'll definitely keep it in mind.

For now, I'm going with an old low-fi chestnut that I've worked with before : place a copy of the clip above itself in the timeline, offset by one or two frames at half-opacity.

I'm not sure how well this would work with a lot of action in the frame, but the clip in question is a video-portrait. It does a pretty good job. I'd recommend anyone with the same problem give it a crack, too..

Heath

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]