The 7" FSI monitor...

Opinions?

-Jason

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: portable HD monitor for field monitoring
on Mar 26, 2010 at 1:59:45 am

is this a trick question ?
This is like comparing a Rolls Royce (FSI) to an Edsyl (Marshall).
There are many fine field monitors (Panasonic, etc.) - Marshall is not one of them.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Mar 26, 2010 at 3:07:07 am

not a trick question....just an naive questioner :)

Is there another monitor you'd suggest over the FSI for a field monitor?

as a side note, I hope to meet you at NAB, I've been involved in several topics with you here at the cow and I'd love to meet you in person!

Thanks for all your help!

-Jason

Return to posts index

Ray Thornback
on Mar 26, 2010 at 10:22:56 am

Why? He comes across as a total pratt...

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Mar 26, 2010 at 3:51:41 pm

1) I'm not sure what "pratt" means :)

2) If his picture is truly what he looks like, I've got to meet him! He reminds me of the chief engineer of the control room from UHF with Wierd Al Yankovic...

3) I love meeting people with opinions...I have to meet the guy who wold publicly write:
"I am no longer interested in your opinion. The "good old days" are over, and welcome to 2010."

lol..Bob makes me laugh :)

-Jason

Return to posts index

Chuck Pullen
on Mar 26, 2010 at 1:42:55 pm

I didn't think you would be a fan of the Marshall monitors Bob, but are there any applications would you use the cheaper EDSEL over the higher priced Rolls? Their new models seem like a great value if they work as advertised?

Jason, from everything I have heard, Marshalls will just not last very long in the field or in a truck. I know people that use them rack mounted in an indoor, climate controlled environment, that swear by them, but everyone I know that has tried using them in the field has had bad results.

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Mar 26, 2010 at 2:59:19 pm

Great information...thanks Chuck.

The thing that drew me initially to the Marshall was the HDMI option (we shoot some 5D and I like to preview through the HDMI out...although I could adapt the DVI on the FSI, and with the marshall, it's HD-SDI -OR- HDMI...the FSI will give me both with the adaptor from HDMI to DVI.

Is the FSI 7" a good option? Any other monitors I should take a look at?

-Jason

Return to posts index

Chuck Pullen
on Mar 26, 2010 at 3:08:46 pm

I've heard good things about Flanders, I think Bob's a fan of them, and he's the expert on this topic. Just be careful you don't buy a "rebranded" Marshall type monitor from someone else. As always, you get what you pay for, and let me know how it works out, I need a couple of monitors soon myself.

Chuck

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Mar 27, 2010 at 6:43:22 pm

The Panasonic is very very very popular, as is the Astro systems.
These are all expensive monitors. Marshall was the "first guy in town" to make "cheap" LCD monitors. As you stroll thru the halls of NAB, you will see countless manufacturers of LCD monitors - and you will say to yourself "gee, I never heard of these guys - I wonder if this is a reliable monitor".

I never heard of FSI (Flanders) until Walter Biscardi started to talk about them. To me, it was just another "no name" monitor, compared to Sony, Panasonic, JVC, TV Logic and CineTal. Then, the rep "forced me" to get a demo. Then I understood.

So what will happen, is that you will go to NAB, and see more monitors than you ever wanted to see - and you will be overwhelmed, and you will say "well, I saw this brand, but I never heard of them - I wonder if I should get this - because it's pretty inexpensive".

This is what happens at NAB. TONS of products you never heard of (because these small companies cannot afford to advertise), but have great products.

AND -
I LOVE to be insulted - but I too, do not know what a "pratt" means - does this relate to the "Hills" character Spencer Pratt - because he doens't work (and I do).

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Mar 29, 2010 at 1:40:12 pm

Back in my school playground many moons ago, a "prat" was widely considered to be mean literally a "pregnant goldfish" although that was never the intended slur when it was used, nor i doubt is it really the correct term for such a thing literal or otherwise ... I know my Dad wasn't having any of it when I called him it once.

Return to posts index

Bill Kavis
on May 17, 2010 at 5:53:54 am

I am not much of a Marshall guy either. My company is one of the few that lives in the truck/multicamera world AND in the film style environment. The Marshall's have a decent foothold in the truck world but reliability will slowly erode that platform. They just are not critical enough to hold up in the EFP and film style environments. By the way,... no matter what you wish to call Mr Zelin,... If you listen to what he has to offer you will come to respect him as a valuable resource and a very intelligent man within his field.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]