FORUMS: list search recent posts

Broadcast quality dilemma

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Economides
Broadcast quality dilemma
on Mar 21, 2010 at 1:21:37 am

I am preparing a 4X1hR mini series for TV using a GY 700 HM for distribution primarily in Europe hence I am thinking in terms of 720P at 25FPS.

The works require that I do a lot of green screen shooting, and then compositing in motion and finally grading in Color.

What is the best workflow in preserving and maximizing broadcast quality down to finishing?

I operate on FCP 7, Color 1.5 and Motion 4, have a fast Macpro computer and Raid set of 8X1.5TB's.

1. Should I use 1080 P camera setting at 25FPS instead and convert that to PRORES (HQ) using compressor? Prior to editing in FCP?

2. OR Should I remain with 720 P and 25 FPS in camera and convert that to PRORES (HQ) rather?

3. OR Should I import the SDHC card material straight from the GY 700 HM and work natively in FCP. Motion and Color?
This means HDV quality at 720P 25 FPS using the XD CAM EX codec both in FCP and Motion. Should I use then for final render Color in PRORES HQ quality for export?

4. OR do not bother with any of the above, and just shoot wit the GY 700 at 720P and do all the works natively in post-production discarding any of the codec prores solutions.

4.There may be a need for a 2hr print for theatrical distribution out of the 5 HR series.
Would it be better to start at 1080P then as opposed to 720P at 25FPS? (the reason I state 25FPS is because primarily this is a TV product, and perhaps it is easier to go down to 24 FPS for a print version for theatrical distribution as opposed to shooting in 24FPS and having to go up to 25FPS for the primary TV distribution.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]