FORUMS: list search recent posts

Coverting 16x9 to 4x3 letterbox then to tape

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Alexander
Coverting 16x9 to 4x3 letterbox then to tape
on Mar 10, 2010 at 6:45:09 pm

Just wondering if coverting a 16x9 digital file to 4x3 letterbox with Quicktime or another transcoding program has any perils involved - especially regarding mastering it to tape (Final Cut.) Is this an accepted industry practice nowadays?

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
Re: Coverting 16x9 to 4x3 letterbox then to tape
on Mar 10, 2010 at 9:18:12 pm

It's better to do it with hardware, like a Kona card, as you output to tape. If you are going from 24p to 29.97, then make sure you get the proper pulldown applied. Is this for broadcast?

Jason Jenkins

Flowmotion Media

Video production... with style!

Return to posts index

Joey Burnham
on Mar 10, 2010 at 9:38:06 pm

Kona card works but the easy way to do it in FCP is just in the motion tab. Double-click your footage and in the distort panel under aspect ratio type in -33. You don't really lose any quality.
Joey

Return to posts index

Mike Alexander
on Mar 10, 2010 at 10:29:28 pm

Thanks. That's what I had in mind and it came out fine. It looks good on tape as well (Digi and BetaSP.) Mostly, I wanted to know if anyone has had problems doing this so I know what to look out for - Flickering, Pixelation, etc.

Return to posts index

Joey Burnham
on Mar 10, 2010 at 10:32:23 pm

[Mike Alexander] " Mostly, I wanted to know if anyone has had problems doing this so I know what to look out for - Flickering, Pixelation, etc."

I've never had problems. Technically you aren't losing any pixels / resolution. All you would be doing is an uncompressed render if you are working in 10 bit. (No render in 8)

Joey

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]