FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best format for TV still Image

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tiago Casais
Best format for TV still Image
on Mar 4, 2010 at 1:33:28 pm

Hello everyone,

Im delivering a still image of a logo that is to be broadcasted on TV for a couples of seconds (as in a sponsor's logo at the end of a show).
Im sending a TIFF file with d1/dv PAL pixel aspect ratio, but since i lack the experience in producing for tv, and i couldn't fine enough info on this subject over the web , i'm asking for a few pointers please.
Is the tiff format the best one ? Should i be applying some sort of filtering or bluring to ensure decent tv result of my image ? Should i be aware of any minimum font syze or 'par' related issues ?

Thanks for your time.

Tiago Casais
Portugal

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Best format for TV still Image
on Mar 4, 2010 at 2:50:48 pm

It has to be the correct size, and the colors and brightness values have to be within "broadcast legal" limits, so the white's are not too bright, the blacks too dark, and the saturation of the colors not so deep that they distort the broadcast image. Just as there is a pallete and filters for "web safe" colors, there is one for TV colors.

You should also know how the logo will be used; will it be luminance keyed, alpha keyed, do they want it over a black background, a white background, a chromakey green or blue background, or no background at all (alpha channel). If it is smaller than a full TV screen, does it need to be centered, vertically and/or horizontally, or left or right justified?

If you can't get a straight answer about any of that, just give it to them centered-up, in each version of background I mentioned, unless you want some anonymous staff person at the station to start fiddling with your work and perhaps altering it, just to make it ready for their broadcast.

Return to posts index

Tiago Casais
on Mar 4, 2010 at 3:34:44 pm

Hello Mark, thanks for the response.
They asked for the logo with background, so the logo goes centered in a colored background, composing the final 720x576 PAL image. That part is settled.
Now you got me wonder about all the colour safe specs.
What's the best way to ensure the color range is tv safe ? I came to know there is a NTSC video filter in the filters tab, but no PAL. Also, i read about costumizing the "proof setup" to "PAL/SECAM" mode and enabling the proof colors and gamut warning.Are these the right procedures to achieve tv safe color range ? Should i be doing something else?
ps: im also changing the levels' min and max values
ps: im also changing the levels' min and max values

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 4, 2010 at 4:55:41 pm

How are you making this: Photoshop, I suspect?

Do yourself a favor and just BUY Scopo Gigio -- it's a software-based Waveform Monitor and Vectorscope for either Photoshop or After Effects. Once you set it up properly, it tells you no lies.

You'd want to set it for PAL, 16-235 and 75% Bars.

For the Waveform, anything over 100 units and below 7 1/2 units is illegal. On the Vectorscope, anything outside the circle is illegal.

Pretty easy, yes?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Ray Thornback
on Mar 5, 2010 at 9:45:21 am

In PAL land black level is at 0... 7.5 to 100 for NTSC (other than Japan).

Return to posts index

Tiago Casais
on Mar 8, 2010 at 11:19:20 am

In photoshop indeed, Dave.
Im checking out scopogigio's demo version for windows right now.
It seems pretty simple and useful.
Thank you very much

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]