FORUMS: list search recent posts

Live Broadcast?

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
david reichelt
Live Broadcast?
on Mar 2, 2010 at 11:57:49 pm

The music director at my local community theater asked me the following question. How do I set up a live feed of her conducting during a live performance of the musical she is in charge of. I guess she will be up in a room conducting behind the audience and wants this projected on televisions on the stage. I wasn't sure where to post this. I'm trying to learn how to set this up for her. Thanks

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Live Broadcast?
on Mar 3, 2010 at 2:53:27 pm

On a community theater budget, (which is not much) I would set up the camera int he room, and run the video to the stage using either quality coax cable with a video signal amplifier, or over phone wire, using devices called "baluns".

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 3, 2010 at 5:14:37 pm

If you have some friends in the building with IT skills, you could try streaming the video using wireless internet, but there WILL be a delay introduced to the system, probably too much for live music conducting.

Return to posts index

Carly Smith
on Mar 13, 2010 at 1:59:29 pm

on ebay you can find what are called video distribution amps (Extron is a good company) for around $10.

Using BNC cable (you may need an adapter for your camera), connect your camera OUT to the IN on the distribution amp.

Then using more BNC, connect the OUTS on the distribution amp to each TV monitor.

The most expensive part will be the BNC cable. All the BNC adapters can be gotten VERY cheaply on ebay, pennies on the dollar.

Hope that heps

Return to posts index

Tyler Ries
on Mar 3, 2010 at 5:33:53 pm

I have done this before and is very common in live theater. You can get all the things you need at radio shack. For the camera, a cheap security camera (it can even be B&W) or even your home video camera will do the trick. Then some quality coax and cheap video amplifier and splitter (I know Radio Shack used to make a consumer model). Keep it all anaglog to avoid delay and be careful with wireless that could cut out or have bad reception.

Another tip, I used to project the image on the back wall of the theater so the actors could keep their gaze at the audience.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 3, 2010 at 7:39:42 pm

I did a hookup for a friend recently that used the Radio Shack video Distributiin Amps, they are cheap at around $25 and have at least 4 outputs on them. Coax is a little more tricky; the cheap stuff has the wrong characteristics and will attenuate your signal something fierce. if the cable run was going to be a ridiculous distance, I think I would use telephone cable and the baluns instead; the cable is very thin and easy to hide/run, and cheap over a long distance. I have also heard of using cat-5 cable in this way with adapters ont he ends.

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Mar 4, 2010 at 7:10:33 am

Pretty wide-open question. You can use any old camera (even a cheap security camera or perhaps even a webcam.) And monitor(s) where the performers can see it (them).

Do you already have monitor(s)? How many? What kind? (video, computer, etc.)? How far between the camera location and the monitor(s)? Is there some kind of wiring already there? Or can you lay/pull in a cable? What equipment (camera, monitors, cable, etc.) do you have access to? Do you have any kind of budget?

You could conceivably do this with zero budget given enough head-start and volunteers willing to loan/donate old equipment. Especially people getting rid of old standard-definition TV screens and replacing them with HD flat-screens, etc, etc.

You can send video good enough for cueing purposes several hundred feet over ordinary foam-core "antenna" coax from Radio Shack, etc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]