FORUMS: list search recent posts

Choppy Video when Editing to Digibeta

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Timothy Ford
Choppy Video when Editing to Digibeta
on Feb 26, 2010 at 4:08:36 pm

I've been pulling my hair out for the last couple of days trying to get a good Digibeta master of a 30 sec commercial we had to retool a bit. Hopefully someone can lend some insight. Here is the problem:

The original spot was shot on 35mm. We then had a transfer completed that laid it off to HDCAM 1080i 59.94fps for coloring. We had them dub a Digibeta version for broadcast and digitize a version for us to keep back at our studio. This was captured as prores at 23.98.

I was recently instructed to swap out the end card so I built everything out in a FCP timeline matching the digitized version of the spot that we received. Through Compressor I output a 10-bit uncompressed SD version at 29.97 using the best motion compensated setting etc. This video looks fine.

I then create a master sequence in FCP matching the newly transcoded version of the spot. When I lay this down to Digibeta (sony dvw-a500) through our Kona 3, it looks like garbage. The video is stuttery, and there is some flicker in the interlacing. The end card, slate, and bars all look okay. It's just the meat of the commercial.

I'm thinking the problem is the result of capturing interlaced footage to that prores 23.98p file, but then there is the fact that it looks just fine outside of the FCP timeline.

This is driving me nuts. Any assistance you can offer will be of great help.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Choppy Video when Editing to Digibeta
on Feb 26, 2010 at 4:17:37 pm

Here's the crucial question: when you captured this digibeta footage, to prores 23.98, did you remove the 3:2 pulldown? If you didn't, it'll wreck your day.

You should also consider posting your problem on the COW's Final Cut Pro forum, where lots of people with FCP experience congregate.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Timothy Ford
on Feb 26, 2010 at 4:37:46 pm

I can't really say how it was captured. You see we went to an outside vendor to color, dub, and digitize the spot for us. At any rate, it wasn't captured from digibeta, it was captured from HDCAM.

I'll definitely post in the FCP forum as well. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 26, 2010 at 4:43:12 pm

The people on the FCP forum are all editors. Obviously, you're not. You'll want to collect as much information as you can regarding this spot's capture frame rate, pulldown, etc. before you post.

And if you've already posted as much information as you have, you'll have to get more. Start digging.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Timothy Ford
on Feb 26, 2010 at 4:54:41 pm

I am an editor, a young one. That's why I'm asking the questions, to learn and improve.

I'll keep digging. Hopefully someone in the FCP forum can be of some help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]