FORUMS: list search recent posts

Hitachi Broadcast Cameras

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Watson
Hitachi Broadcast Cameras
on Feb 4, 2010 at 5:17:45 pm

Anyone worked with Hitachi broadcast cams? How's the image quality and what has been your experience with them?

I have a company bidding these cameras, but I've never used them, and want to get some real feedback from end-users...

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Hitachi Broadcast Cameras
on Feb 4, 2010 at 10:45:57 pm

Hitachi is only known for studio and "remote truck" full size cameras. It is beyond me how anyone would consider an expensive camera, and rely on Creative Cow feedback to see if they are good. I urge you to get a DEMO from your DEALER, so you can see what you are getting. This is a LOT of money, and you don't want our stupid opinions for an expensive purchase like this.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Ben Watson
on Feb 4, 2010 at 11:50:10 pm

Wow. That's helpful. I want a demo, but we're running short on time.

Anyone have any real help?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 5, 2010 at 12:01:15 am

[Ben Watson] "Anyone have any real help?"

Actually, that's sound advice.

If there are a large amounts of dollars on the line, you owe it to yourself to see what the camera looks like first-hand. If your purchase schedule is tight, you could probably arrange for a demo somewhere other than in-house. See it with your own eyes. Otherwise, it's like buying a brand-new car out of a catalog.

Make the time. It's worth it.

For what it's worth, my station bought Hitachi studio cameras. Everyone was pleased. But consider this: we're in market 80-something, and the Hitachis replaced some RCA TK 45's pushed beyond the end of their life span. Anything would have looked good.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Petteri Evilampi
on Feb 5, 2010 at 4:19:53 pm

They are good, as are every others also in that price range.
But are they better than Sony´s, or Ikegami´s, and so on, that is a personal opinion that You have to decide in A DEMO!

Return to posts index

Devin Crane
on Feb 5, 2010 at 7:46:21 pm

"They are good, as are every others also in that price range. "
If they are in the same price range as Sony or Ikegami, I would go with Ikegami. Better skin tone reproduction. If your shooting sports Sony's or GV maybe the way to go.

Return to posts index

Alan Lloyd
on Feb 5, 2010 at 9:49:59 pm

I've shot with one Hitachi in my life. Long, long ago. It was from their broadcast line and the image quality was quite good.

I owned Sony and Ikegami Betacam heads. The quality of them was also very good.

Take the offered advice and get a real-world demo. Maybe even a "shootout" if time permits.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Feb 6, 2010 at 1:56:02 am

Ben,
I don't like your attitude. I am giving you the most accurate advice - if you are short on time, then you should not the one being responsible for spending ALL THAT MONEY on broadcast studio cameras. Perhaps I should Google you, and contact your station management, and tell them how you intend to waste their money by making a decision based on the stupid advice of a user forum on the internet.

THIS IS WHAT YOU ARE GOING TO DO. You will listen to me. You are going to contact Hitachi,(not a dealer) and you are going to request a demo. I assume that you are going to purchase at least three of these cameras, so they will bring in a rep to demonstrate these cameras to you. Other manufacturers, like Sony and Ikegami make excellent studio cameras, but I cannot deny that Hitachi, while not known in the consumer/eng/commercial market, does make excellent studio cameras. You will put the effort out to research this properly, like a professional, or I will have you punished. If you would like, I will be more than happy to contact Hitachi
for you, and have a rep contact you. Hitachi cameras will be used at the Olympics in Canada (SK-HD1000) and they have products to be proud of -
look at this Ben -
http://www.hitachikokusai.com/Apps/hitachidenshi/content.jsp?page=portable_...

Dont' you DARE tell me that you are TOO BUSY to research this - I dont' care if you are dying. This is YOUR JOB. Get to work. If you want me to make the call for you, I will.

If you give me the specs that you are looking for in a studio camera, I will research it for you, and report back on this forum.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

maurice jansen
on Feb 6, 2010 at 11:58:22 am

the only thing i can say is

arange a SHOOT OUT.

bring out all those nasty testchart's and make some difficult scene's
whit difficult colors and fine detail.

whit a shootout i mean comparing different camera's so get your self a SONY,GVG and Ikegami and of coarse hitachi camera and compare.

you have to work with these camera's on a daily basis
making your decision to fast will punish you or your client for years to come.

if time run's out hire the camera's for the period you need to do your TEST.
if sales people know you are serious they will arange a demo for you certainly in these difficult day's

greet
Maurice

People saying they don't make mistake's often make nothing at all!

Return to posts index

Ben Watson
on Feb 7, 2010 at 2:52:16 pm

Sorry if I got heated, but we're just under a very short timeline. So short, that I'm not entirely sure I can do a shootout. I'm trying to at least get a visit location, and gathering much more information before we decide.

I appreciate very much everyone's input. I was just a little annoyed that the first response was on how stupid I am. I think that was uncalled for. I was honestly just asking for advice.

As for the validity of Creative Cow, I think this is one of the best places to get information on our industry on the net. Now, I'm not going to base my entire decision on feedback from here, but I do want to get some real industry experience on these products. Can you blame me?

Please forgive my shortcomings, I'm under enourmous pressure to get it done in a very short amount of time.

Return to posts index

Ben Watson
Re: BOB Hitachi Broadcast Cameras
on Feb 7, 2010 at 2:59:52 pm

And Bob, thanks for your offer! I am going to press the "powers that be" to at least get us a shootout. This is a lot of money to just fart around with.

When I get the ok, I may give ya a shout.

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Ben Watson
on Feb 7, 2010 at 3:07:31 pm

We are also looking at the Panasonic HPX-500.

Can I ask if anyone has used these? I have the HVX200, and love it, so I'm already voting on the HPX 500.

** Just an fyi, I DO PLAN ON TRYING TO DO A "SHOOTOUT" **

Now, What's your opinions of the HPX-500? Likes, dislikes?

Return to posts index

Alan Lloyd
on Feb 7, 2010 at 4:00:27 pm

I have - I was on a shoot with them a while ago. Beautiful picture, very user-friendly, nice cams overall. They do take remotes if you're using them in a studio/multicamera setting. Nice remotes, too.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Feb 7, 2010 at 6:05:01 pm

Hi Ben -
NOW you are asking an entirely different question. When you said "Hitachi cameras", I thought you meant studio cameras. Now, you are refering to field cameras/eng cameras/small production cameras. I would NEVER consider Hitachi small cameras compared to what is available from Panasonic and Sony.

The HPX-500 (and the even cheaper HPX-300) are amazing values. If you are considering the HPX-500 and the "equivalent" Hitachi, like the SK-3200P, or the smaller Z-HD5000, there is no question (without a shootout) that you are better off with the HPX-500.

Your original post (now that I see what you are considering) is like saying "I need a car, what do you think of General Motors".

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]