FORUMS: list search recent posts

U-Matic Dub

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Payne
U-Matic Dub
on Feb 2, 2010 at 12:04:58 pm

Hi,

So I'm having some issues with a load of u-matic dubs. I have a Sony vo-2630 u-matic deck and need to dub this to another format (either dvcam or digibeta preferably). The umatic deck only has 1 video out so cannot take a reference signal from it which is causing the other machines serious problems. Any advice would be gratefully received.

tom

Return to posts index

Chuck Reti
Re: U-Matic Dub
on Feb 2, 2010 at 1:11:26 pm

That really should not be a problem, unless the record decks are set to External Reference (which can be switched to reference to input video), or if the video is just very unstable. Better approach would be to get ahold of a TBC or framesync.

Return to posts index

Tom Payne
on Feb 2, 2010 at 1:44:47 pm

Thanks for getting back to me, starting to pull my hair out as I know this should be simple. I'm trying to dub to sony dsr-1800p. Gone into the video control menu and set out ref sel to input video but it's still going crazy. Is there any way around this without purchasing extra equipment?

Return to posts index

Chad Brewer
on Feb 3, 2010 at 1:44:19 am

Hey,
Like Chuck said, some U-Matic video can be unstable without a timebase corrector...
A cheaper solution to buying any equipment is to call our facility!
We digitize all new and legacy formats or transfer them to the tape format of your choice!
Check out our supported formats: http://www.televersions.com

Chad Brewer
Senior Tape Operator/Engineer
TeleVersions

Return to posts index

Chuck Pullen
on Feb 3, 2010 at 3:56:50 pm

Tom, there is a trick to fixing this issue. It's been a while since I've had to deal with it, but I think it had something to do with putting in a jumper from the video input loop out to the ref. input. Maybe someone else can chime in if they remember that trick? Don't forget to unterm. the loop first.

Chuck

Return to posts index

Tom Payne
on Feb 3, 2010 at 4:03:34 pm

Yeah I had heard there was a trick to do with that but tried a load of combinations and couldn't get anything to work. Have found a way around it using a datavideo standard converter, which has a bb and component out that seems to have worked. If anyone does have a simpler way of doing this, would be great for the future.

Return to posts index

Mark Spano
on Feb 3, 2010 at 6:08:14 pm

What other decks do you have? I've had luck transferring first to a BVW-75 Betacam SP - the deck has a built-in TBC and will line up the frame edges so that upon playback I've got a solid signal to work with.

Return to posts index

Tom Payne
on Feb 3, 2010 at 6:10:09 pm

I have a sony pvw-2800, sony dvw-a500, sony dsr-1800, thomson ttv-3570 and a couple of smaller dvcam and hdv decks.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Feb 4, 2010 at 2:22:23 am

Tom,
for you to even ask a question like this, is outrageous to me. I assume that you are young, and that you are working for an OLD MAN (older than me 54 years old) that has big BALLS for even owning a
2000 series top loader U-Matic VTR. HOW DARE HE BE IN THIS BUSINESS. Later models of U-Matic 3/4" VTR's included the early Sony VO5000, VO5850, and 5800, as well as the more professional BVU-800, 820, 850, 900, 920, and 950. But the BVU-200 and 2000 series were TOP LOADERS used by people that were in the business when I got into the business in 1978 - THESE VTRS should be in the GARBAGE.

The quick answer is that you SPEND MONEY and buy an inexpensive FRAME SYNCHRONIZER (not TBC) that will let you grab the horrible heterdyne signal out of your U-Matic, and lock it up to a modern VTR. Then walk over to your boss (who must be in his 60's) and slap him in the face, and say "this is from Bob Zelin - you should be ashamed of yourself".

A cheap frame sync TBC is the TBC-1000 from Data Video. A TBC will not help you.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Feb 4, 2010 at 5:36:00 am

Frame syncs and Time base correctors (TBC's) can often be found in one box, but this is not universally the case, and folks sometimes need to be more specific when saying "connect to a TBC." Because they sometimes actually mean the frame synch that is part of a particular TBC.

As to the machine being old, well, we don't know the circumstances as to why he has that particular model, I'm sure it was not his choice, and as soon as he can get decent dubs out, with no more to transfer, he can then send it to its next career as a means of keeping the bass boat from drifting:-)

Return to posts index

maurice jansen
on Feb 4, 2010 at 8:00:42 pm

i guess you don't have a choice but using the old boy.

go find yourself a framesynchronizer (often called TBC which is WRONG).
most rental house do have them and this won't be that expensive.

greet
Maurice

People saying they don't make mistake's often make nothing at all!

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Feb 4, 2010 at 9:43:52 pm

Used ones on ebay all the time.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]