FORUMS: list search recent posts

UVW 1800 or BVW-70 ???

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sohrab Sandhu
UVW 1800 or BVW-70 ???
on Feb 2, 2010 at 6:59:45 am

I need a betacam deck that can record on 30, 60 & 90 min tapes.

Which would be a better choice? I found them online (used) for around 2K.

2.66 GHz 8-core, ATI Radeon HD 4870,
FCS 3, AJA Kona Lhi

"The creative person wants to be a know-it-all. He wants to know about all kinds of things: ancient history, nineteenth-century mathematics, current manufacturing techniques, flower arranging, and hog futures. Because he never knows when these ideas might come together to form a new idea. It may happen six minutes later or six months, or six years down the road. But he has faith that it will happen." -- Carl Ally

Return to posts index

maurice jansen
Re: UVW 1800 or BVW-70 ???
on Feb 2, 2010 at 8:53:16 pm

well

first take a look at the hours of the head's and upperdrum. head replacement's are very expensive.

if they have reasonable hour's i prefer the BVW serie's more robust 4audio channels and better made transport mechanism but of coarse price is also a issue for you

greet

Maurice

People saying they don't make mistake's often make nothing at all!

Return to posts index

Sohrab Sandhu
on Feb 2, 2010 at 11:05:27 pm

Thanx for replying!

As you can see i have no previous experience with these machines so just trying to make sure i don't end up buying a piece of junk.

How would you rate this BVW-70 ?

Drum Running 87-X10 Hours
Tape Running 0077-X10 Hours
Threading Count 0148-10/Head Reading

Its priced at $4200. Sounds like a fair deal?

FCS 3, AJA Kona Lhi

"The creative person wants to be a know-it-all. He wants to know about all kinds of things: ancient history, nineteenth-century mathematics, current manufacturing techniques, flower arranging, and hog futures. Because he never knows when these ideas might come together to form a new idea. It may happen six minutes later or six months, or six years down the road. But he has faith that it will happen." -- Carl Ally

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Feb 4, 2010 at 2:13:28 am

the BVW70 is about 15 years old. How does a 15 year old car run ?
How much repair and maintenance does a 15 year old car require ?

If you must get a beta VTR, get an 1800.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

maurice jansen
on Feb 4, 2010 at 7:52:10 pm

well

now you have 2 answers hi ;-)

i was answering out of my experience whit betacamSP vtr's, we had several models BVW75,PVW2650 and 2800 and UVW1800 and the UVWseries. we all have maintained them in a thight schedule. funny enough the most used and the oldest BVW75 did survive the rest is death. maybe we have been lucky but i guess this has to do with the more robust transport. specially because all the UVW's where rackmounted and did not move while the BVW where also used in the field.

greet
Maurice

People saying they don't make mistake's often make nothing at all!

Return to posts index

Sohrab Sandhu
on Feb 4, 2010 at 8:44:04 pm

Hi Bob!

Moment I saw your name in my post i went running for a cover...But you were kind enough to let me go off easily. Thanx!

I have another question.

What makes a good used VTR ? How many operation & Drum Hours are okay on a used UVW-1800? I know lesser the better but whats the upper limit?

FCS 3, AJA Kona Lhi

Return to posts index

Petteri Evilampi
on Feb 5, 2010 at 4:28:29 pm

If You can find both and they are in same kind of technical condition take BWV. UVW-series make a lot noisier picture (sn-ratio), and the sound is poor (if I can remember right it was in Sony┬┤s tech-specs something like BVW linear tracs were 20 - 18 000 hz and UWV was 50 - 14 000 hz and there is "hi-fi"-tracs also in BVW 20-20 000hz).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]