FORUMS: list search recent posts

Panasonic Plasmas?

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Campbell
Panasonic Plasmas?
on Jan 28, 2010 at 3:58:26 pm

After taking some great advice from the COW pros, I'm finally getting around to purchasing a monitor. Which Panasonic Plasma is a good Prosumer fit for me? Many people have said to not waste my money on a broadcast monitor if I don't really need one. Well, I'm taking that advice. I'm looking into a Panasonic Plasma pro series TV to give me good color as well as the ability to calibrate it with blue only.

I've read threads about the Panasonic 42" Plasma - TH42PH11U that Bob Zelin suggests. Are there newer models or is this still one of the best for prosumer displays. I'm not in need a broadcast monitor so to speak, like the JVC or Flanders models, just something that will give me good representation of DVD, web and some TV work. Something better than my current consumer TV and my Eizo LCD monitors.

OS 10.5.5, Mac Pro 2 x 3 ghz quad-core intel xenon, 9 gb ram, with BM Intensity Pro card

Return to posts index

Matt Campbell
Re: Panasonic Plasmas?
on Jan 28, 2010 at 6:47:40 pm

Also, how does one feel about the Sony consumer XBR series?

OS 10.5.5, Mac Pro 2 x 3 ghz quad-core intel xenon, 9 gb ram, with BM Intensity Pro card

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jan 29, 2010 at 3:33:49 pm

Panasonic TH42PD12UK
$749 at B&H
perfect 42" monitor

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Matt Campbell
on Jan 29, 2010 at 3:50:27 pm

I was wondering when you were going to reply. thanks Bob. Not to keep beating a dead horse but, is there a model with HD SDI? I've also read in another one of your post that with HD SDI from a card to the monitor, once in the monitor its converted to component anyway. Is this true? So I'm with using component for HD monitoring, right?

The reason I ask is because I've come across a TV that has HD SDI (image attached) and wanted to try and find a 42" or even smaller version. 37" maybe. Any thoughts? I can't seem to find any in that series. Is it a dated model? Are there newer models out?

Return to posts index

Matt Campbell
on Jan 29, 2010 at 4:35:54 pm

Bob, sorry one last question. How do you feel about the Sony Bravias EX500 32" or 40" (KDL-40EX500). A vendor we work with sells mostly Sony and JVC stuff. There always pushing Sony products on me. Would this be an equivalent to the Panasonic above?

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jan 30, 2010 at 5:45:26 am

stop dealing with "vendors". Vendors want their commission. Box houses don't care what you buy. Get advice from these forums, and advice from video production and post facilities in your area - not salesman.

Do you want to spend money, or do you want a cheap monitor ? There is no "cheap monitor" that has HD-SDI inputs. The TH42PD12UK is so cheap because PAnasonic got rid of the "option card slots". This is how they reduced the price of the "PD" series. It has HDMI inputs. You can simply use the CAV output of your AJA/Blackmagic/Matrox box, or get a converter.

Professional 17" and 24" LCD monitors cost A LOT MORE MONEY than these Plasma screens.

SO, why not Sony ? When you go to the NAB show, and you walk around, and you see Apple, AJA, Blackmagic, Matrox, and EVERYONE ELSE who is a video company, they are ALL using Panasonic Plasma displays (except sony of course). I join the crowd. If it's good enough for BOTH AJA and Blackmagic AND AVID - then it's good enough for me.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Phillip Platz
on Feb 1, 2010 at 10:32:33 am

I'm lazy. Are you familiar with anything from Panasonic similar to the TH42PD12UK, but at 1080?

I guess the debate is whether or not 1080 is essential in 42" and smaller. I like to think I can notice the difference (even if I can't).

Thoughts? Comments?

Respectfully,

Phillip Platz

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Feb 4, 2010 at 2:16:20 am

there are no cheap 17" and 24" plasma monitors. These monitors from everyone - PAnasonic, Sony, FSI, CineTal, JVC, etc. cost a LOT more money. You want "smaller" and you are lazy - you are not going to get a 24" or 37" Plasma for under $749 that looks anywhere as good as the TH42PD12UK.

If you want 1080i, you buy the TH42PF12UK, but it's a LOT more money (notice the letter F in the number).

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Matt Campbell
on Feb 2, 2010 at 3:19:02 pm

hey thanks bob. appreciate the comments, help and expertise.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]