FORUMS: list search recent posts

Video Over Existing Fibre Network

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Phillip Platz
Video Over Existing Fibre Network
on Jan 10, 2010 at 10:34:07 am

My college has a fibre network across its various campus buildings.

Wondering about the possibility/feasibility of sending HD-SDI over the network to a remote location. Quality considerations, technical necessitations, et cetera.

In other words, how could we make this work? Aside from technical questions of being routed over the network correctly, would it be "as easy as" connecting an encoder to any ethernet jack that has access to the network, and a decoder on the receiving end, with gen lock into our switcher? What kind of encoder/decoder would we need to buy?

Any ideas here? Thanks in advance!

Respectfully,

Phillip Platz

Return to posts index

Phillip Platz
Re: Video Over Existing Fibre Network
on Jan 10, 2010 at 10:38:38 am

Additionally, any easy way to also send audio/video foldback the other direction without necessitating additional encoder/decoder boxes?

Respectfully,

Phillip Platz

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jan 10, 2010 at 4:00:16 pm

you are not providing enough information. Is this a dedicated fibre line, just sitting there, waiting for you to use it for your application, or is this "owned" by the college IT deparment, who is sending data across it for their computer network, and you want to tap into this line to send audio and video feeds ?

The answer, either way will be that you have to BUY STUFF, and SPEND MONEY to make anything work. How do you get anything to lock up to your switcher without genlock - easy - you BUY a Frame Synchronizer - again, you must say if this is an analog or digital signal, and I can tell you how much that will cost. Without money, you cant' do anything.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Tyler Ries
on Jan 18, 2010 at 3:19:36 pm

If you don't already have the equipment to do this, you will most likely be looking at quite an investment. Make a good list of all the information you have, from where to where, what you need to transmit, and find out what you really have access to.

If it is over the college data network, you really need a dedicated line of single mode fiber (and a second for backup). That line needs to be yours and cannot also be used for their data transmission. Also, you will need to know the length of the fiber run. Not just distance from building to building, but the actual length of the fiber, which can vary greatly. See if the IT people have a fiber tester, usually those can give you a length readout. The length information is important for when you go to purchase the transmitter, because a longer line means a more expensive unit.

Also, get a good idea of what you need to send. Digital or analog? Once again, the more you need, the more you will spend. HD-SDI transmission can be small and simple (a Telecast Rattler is real simple to setup and use), but adding audio will complicate it somewhat. The audio can be embedded in the SDI signal, but you need to de-embed on the other end before the input to the mixer. Analog transmission options exist, with bi-directional audio and video, but expect to spend more to get it all in one box.

My thought would be to speak with someone who can take all your needs and technical requirements and find you the best option. Try talking to someone at a rental house and then renting it to see if it is something you really want to invest in.

Return to posts index

Phillip Platz
on Jan 20, 2010 at 12:50:47 am

As I said in my previous post, I don't think we'd be able to have access to our own line of fibre... this would have to be done alongside their data transmissions.

Couldn't estimate the length right now, but let me know if that information is still necessary. We have multiple buildings in different locations of Chicago's South Loop.

I'm guessing gigabit ethernet may actually be the best we can do from the camera to the network and the network to the truck...

We'd love to be able to send audio with the video signal. Also, we'd love to send back audio fold back, but this can be done over cell phone instead and isn't necessary.

Respectfully,

Phillip Platz

Return to posts index

Mark Slowik
on Jan 3, 2012 at 11:21:39 pm

Video over fiber

video over fiber can be easily sent by 2 diferent methods

one by modulating analog video and audio on the carier by using an analog modulated laser sent as a beam of light .

More popular these days is digitizing single channel of video and sending it as a binary serial digital stream .

Thorfiber has many diferent products for sending  multiple video / stereo audio over single fiber .

1 video 2 Audio over fiber , 2 video 4 Audio over fiber , 4 video 8 Audio over fiber,

8 video 16 Audio over fiber .it is also possible to multiplex Audio Video with ASI SDI or Ethernet

For example F-1V2A1ASI sends 1 video 2 Audio 1 SDI over single fiber.

http://www.thorbroadcast.com/

Return to posts index

Phillip Platz
on Jan 20, 2010 at 12:46:23 am

I came here to ask first so that when I bring up the idea to the powers that be, I'm not laughed at for dreaming too big (cost-wise). It wouldn't be unlikely that they might end up renting something for a day rather than making a purchase.

Anyway, I'm sure the fibre setup is an intranet-type system... of course at our college that means it's run by 18 different IT groups and maybe mismanaged. Fibre is just indicating, then, very basically the speed of the network we'd be sending said video across.

http://broadcastengineering.com/products/chicago-columbia-college-remote-tr... <-- This is our remote truck. We, obviously, have a frame sync. The reason I asked the question regarding non-genlocked video was, if we ended up doing this over something as crappy as skype, the best way we've been able to sync computer output in the past has been through the RCA input of a DVD recorder which was already genlocked to the facility. Is there a box with a frame sync input that decodes HD-SDI over IP video in this way?

Anyway, I'm not OVERLY worried about cost, obviously the inexpensive-but-quality route is the one everybody wants to take. I'm more curious about logistics and actual equipment, I guess.

Thank you Bob and Tyler for your helpful feedback. :)

Respectfully,

Phillip Platz

Return to posts index

Tyler Ries
on Jan 23, 2010 at 2:40:22 am

Looking at it that way, another option looks like a form of MPEG/H.264 encoding. The quality might not be as consistent and will vary with the available bandwidth of the network. One company I know of that provides the equipment for it is Streambox (http://www.streambox.com). I know you said you tried Skype, and this is very similar except they use a broadcast quality compression. With this option, their might not be as much room for an IFB type use, but the cell phone thing is a simple way using a hybrid system on the truck end and someone with unlimited minutes. You can even use a blue-tooth as an earpiece.

Basically you need two units, an encoder and decoder. The big issue is your schools network. As long as you remain behind the firewall, you should do alright, but you never know. Your IT department might have bandwidth limits or even cut you off mid-stream if you are clogging the network. If you can get their approval, you will save yourself a lot of headache later on.

I am sure that there are other companies that make streaming boxes and have video-over-ip solutions. Some google research will lead you to more!

Return to posts index

Phillip Platz
on Jan 23, 2010 at 10:18:37 pm

You've gotta know when to hold 'em...

I think we've decided to just try "like live" this year, since the concept of a reporter "live" at a remote location for this event is new. If it's successful, we'll maybe try doing live in the future.

Thanks for your help! :)

Respectfully,

Phillip Platz

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]