FORUMS: list search recent posts

Overlaying interactive website on a Live TV Signal

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Blakley
Overlaying interactive website on a Live TV Signal
on Jan 8, 2010 at 5:59:40 am

Hey all

I was wondering if someone can help me find a device that would allow me to plug in a tv signal and a laptop that will allow me to interact with the website while watching the tv signal.

I am guessing i would need to code the website overlay properly.

What i need is a device to complete the overlay..any ideas

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Overlaying interactive website on a Live TV Signal
on Jan 8, 2010 at 8:20:55 pm

Well I think you need to use a switcher that takes the VGA output of your computer as an input. From there, the switcher can mix or blens the computer's web stuff with whatever video you are playing. if the switcher doesn;t take a VGA source as an input, then get a scan converter, which attaches to the computer's VGA port and converts the output toa video signal just as if it was a tape playback or a camera shot. Again, the switcher effects will allow you to move and size the computer footage ont he screen with the other video however you want it. By the way that you worded the question though, I'm surmising you don't have the experience to jump into getting the right gear and operating it straight off the bat. Maybe you could expand a bit about what your expereince level is, and what exactly you're trying to do. Then we could help you more.

Return to posts index

John Blakley
on Jan 8, 2010 at 8:31:28 pm

Your right i have not been exposed to video that much.

I am a punter, and in order to be good at what i do i have to collect vast amount of information on game play. My idea was to be able to have an interactive wrapper that sits around the sport i am watching so i can collect/record the relevant aspects i need to know about as i watch.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jan 8, 2010 at 9:28:52 pm

Is this for your own amusement and edification, or to teach something to others? I'm asking because it bears on my future answers as to what may be apropriate for you.

Return to posts index

John Blakley
on Jan 8, 2010 at 9:55:27 pm

only for personal use.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jan 12, 2010 at 1:44:29 am

John,
these forums are for use by professionals, that use Creative Cow to make a living. This is not a hobby forum.

There are many products that are used in professional television to super impose graphics onto a video signal - live or otherwise. They all cost A LOT of money. No offense, but I don't see the point in discussing the details of this, if this is for your fun and amusement. You won't be willing to spend the thousands of dollars that someone else would, if they were billing a client for these services.

As I write this reply to you, I see that there is a banner ad from CPC Close Captioning Software, that is used to meet the broadcast requirement for close captioning (you know what that is, right?). Do you know how much this costs ? It's $5000 per seat, just to do close captioning. This is what professionals do, and this is what they spend to accomplish these tasks. They are willing to spend this outrageous amount of money, becuase this is their business, and they in turn charge their clients.

I don't find anything that I do with all this technical stuff "fun", or "cool".

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Chad Brewer
on Jan 12, 2010 at 2:39:52 am

Looks like after Bob Zelin's reply that its 4th down and a matter of inches on this thread...
Football coaches don't usually punt in these situations if they want to keep their jobs.
I'm not trying to be mean here though, just trying to interleave my useless knowledge of football with my money making knowledge of video...

Chad Brewer
Senior Tape Operator
TeleVersions

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jan 12, 2010 at 2:59:15 pm

John, I'm still not really understanbding what you were after. Did you mean that you want to watch sports while web surfing, all on one screen? There is consumer gear that will let you do Picture-in-picture on your TV, but the reverse of that, importing live video into the laptop while you browse, while technically possible, is going to require a pretty powerful laptop as well as some heftier software. And I'm really not sure to what putpose, in that, is it really so tough to put a laptop next to a TV monitor? Millions iof people do that everym day. I'm not understanding what you're seeking from a tighter integration, or why, given that your declared use is so casual. If you meant that you need to simultaneously record the live TV alongside some specific web content, I didn't initially grsap that from your message.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]