FORUMS: list search recent posts

Helmet Cam: multi-cam, 2-way audio, HD-SDI out. I built it, who do I talk to?

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Wallace
Helmet Cam: multi-cam, 2-way audio, HD-SDI out. I built it, who do I talk to?
on Jan 7, 2010 at 3:21:13 pm

Hello all,

I've developed what I think is the world's first, Multi-camera capable HD camera system for POV shots (helmet cam), that is small enough to be worn on the body while performing extreme sports. (snow ski, motocross, reality TV, etc.)

Some details:
I have a 1080p version as well as a wide angle 720p version. It is ground based meaning no radio spotters, or aircraft required, (but it can be used as a live feed from an airborne camera). The video feeds for each camera in the field, are wirelessly transmitted to the production facility, where there is a line level audio, and HD-SDI video output for each camera. They are also 2-way audio capable if desired for coaching performers that may be wearing the equipment.

The system weighs about 6oz on the head, and 2lbs on the body. (transmitter is about the size of a large paperback novel) Depending on how I setup the antenna system around the production area, it should be able to support over 10 cameras, possibly 20 or more. It has extremely good transmission range, and will run for several hours before needing to be recharged. I can't get into the gory details about how it works, but it does work, and works very well. There is a slight transmission delay of about .75 to 2 seconds, depending on the camera settings. While the remote cameras are in use, operators in the production facility can change settings such as white balance, focus, color balance, etc.

I'm seeing more and more POV shots on TV, but they are almost always SD resolution, and if they are HD, they're just recorded and edited in, in post, not live. know there is a huge demand for this type of system, I just have no idea who to talk to.

Need advice or suggestions:
My goal is to market the system to networks and production companies doing live edit shows that would benefit from HD POV shots.

Does anyone know key people in the television production companies, or networks that would be interested in such a system? It would save me a LOT of time if the good folks here could send me any contact suggestions, names, etc. via email.

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Helmet Cam: multi-cam, 2-way audio, HD-SDI out. I built it, who do I talk to?
on Jan 7, 2010 at 10:13:26 pm

This sounds ideal for a lot of game show type applications, I would ask around for the names of gaem show producers. I would also ask to demonstrate the technology to ESPN.

Return to posts index

Gary Hazen
Re: Helmet Cam: multi-cam, 2-way audio, HD-SDI out. I built it, who do I talk to?
on Jan 9, 2010 at 3:57:24 pm

"There is a slight transmission delay of about .75 to 2 seconds, depending on the camera settings." - JW

That's a deal breaker for live broadcast. RF transmission delays are measured in frames not seconds.

High quality RF systems are very expensive. If you lower the delay times and put together an affordable package you should be able to get the attention of potential buyers.

Here's one company that offers hardware to transmit HD over RF.
http://www.rfcentral.com/

They will be in Austin in August for TAB 2010 if you want to check them out.

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Jan 10, 2010 at 5:19:58 pm

You might want to talk to someone in the production equipment business. Wolf Seeburg is one name that I recall from his participation in the rec.arts.movies.production.sound newsgroup. You could contact him through his website: http://www.wolfvid.com

Another regular participant in r.a.m.p.s is Karl Winkler with Lectrosonics, one of the leading manufacturers of wireless microphone equipment to the film and video production industry. I believe Karl is their director of business development. http://www.lectrosonics.com

Note that the latency issue (which you are likely well acquainted with) may be the primary answer to your question about why you don't see HD quality live POV shots.

Return to posts index

Ted O'Brien
on Oct 7, 2010 at 12:55:28 am

Hey Jason,

Please contact me asap re: your helmet cam. I work for Rockstar Games in New York and you can reach me @ !ted.!obrien!@rockstargames!.com. Just remove those exclamation points but leave the periods. I look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,
Ted

Return to posts index

Andrew Starks
on Apr 15, 2011 at 9:37:45 pm

I'm interested in this kind of setup, depending on the video quality. In short, I make an instant replay server for sports and I want to attach four cameras to a vehicle and record it on to our video server. At first, this is mostly to demonstrate our system's quality. Eventually, I'd like to explore the idea of training kits for driving school that provide instructors with four simultaneous views, plus car tele-metrics.

I'm looking at POV cameras with Ki Pro recorders, currently.

Return to posts index

Jason Wallace
on Apr 16, 2011 at 11:51:54 pm

It would be extremely well suited for that. Email me at: jason@hdvideosolutions.com for more information. It can do 720p/60 or 1080p/30. You'll get the live feed at your console at which point you can do whatever you want with it. There are also PTZ cameras, that can be rigged up, allowing the operator to change camera views, and, options for using conventional cameras with the system, putting HD-SDI in, and getting HD-SDI out the other end.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]