FORUMS: list search recent posts

Should I try and go back to 23.98

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Murphy
Should I try and go back to 23.98
on Jan 6, 2010 at 12:16:31 am

Hi Everyone,

We are posting a spot that will be broadcast in HD and SD. It was shot on 16mm film, telecined at 23.98. However, it was ingested at 29.97 and cut that way as well. I have heard varying opinions on whether or not it is necessary to try and revert back to 23.98 to avoid interlacing. At the end of the day, if the final intent is for broadcast, is there any real reason to go back to 23.98? The spot features a ton of layered footage and effects, and it would be a huge pain to try and overcut everything with new footage.

Thanks, Everyone

Return to posts index

Chad Brewer
Re: Should I try and go back to 23.98
on Jan 6, 2010 at 12:36:59 am

If it is for broadcast, it should be 29.97...Nothing is broadcast in 23.98..You will have to live with the pulldown and any motion issues that it introduced from the telecine transfer, but if you reverse telecine back to 23.98 now, things will get worse and nobody will broadcast your material in 23.98 anyway. All the stations and major networks will want "America's" framerate: 29.97. Stay where you are...

Chad Brewer
Senior Tape Operator
TeleVersions

Return to posts index

Ben Murphy
on Jan 6, 2010 at 12:57:19 am

So, at the end of the day, since I have to output 29.97, it makes no difference whether I edit in 23.98 or 29.97... correct?

Return to posts index

Chad Brewer
on Jan 6, 2010 at 1:09:44 am

Despite ending the day in 29.97, it does matter which frame rate you edit in, because if it is going to leave 23.98 and go to 29.97 for broadcast, you would want to introduce the pulldown with the highest end hardware at your disposal at the right time in your workflow. In this case, since your source material was 16mm film, you had to take the pulldown from the telecine and then stay in 29.97 to edit for broadcast. When you have the choice of frame rate upon acquisition, you would start in 29.97 for broadcast and 23.98/24 for film destination most importantly or web use or whatever. Personally, I don't see the need for the 23.98 "film look" for web videos for anything besides saving a "little" drive space..The key is gearing your entire workflow from the start towards what your destination/deliverable is.

Chad Brewer
Senior Tape Operator
TeleVersions

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jan 6, 2010 at 3:13:42 am

what is amazing to me about this post, is that you have to deliver for broadcast, yet you do not seem to know the broadcast delivery specs that your client requires. Let's say you completed your job at 23.98, and output it to a Sony HDW-M2000 HDCam VTR at 23.98. Is this what your client wants ? Is this what the station delivery requirement is ? Have you asked anyone ? I don't care if you are the #1 editor in the world, with more experience than anyone - NO ONE has control of what the end client wants, other than the end client. And I can assure you of only one thing - every station has different delivery requirements, even if they are affiliates of the same network.

Welcome to broadcasting.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]