FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best frame-rate for international distribution

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rob Dunford
Best frame-rate for international distribution
on Jan 2, 2010 at 11:15:46 am

Hi, I think the subject line says it all. But to elaborate a little. I work for an organisation that video's events in many countries around the world. Up to now, because all the camera crew & post were out of the USA, it made sense to shoot at 30fps. But that is all changing and there is an opportunity to choose a frame-rate that produces the best conversions.
All material is shot at 1080 on XDCAM's at the moment, but down the road RED's may come into the mix.
At first sight the choice would be either 25 or 30fps, but what about 24fps? It's the film industry standard and produces excellent transfers at any frame-rate.
Is there developing a consensus around 24fps, since all modern HD cams shoot at any fps, why not choose the most compatible, which appears to be 24fps.
Comments most welcome!
Rob Dunford
UK Media Consultants

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Best frame-rate for international distribution
on Jan 5, 2010 at 6:46:29 pm

I'd shoot in the NTSC film frame rate of 23.976, aka 24p, aka 23.98.

You don't have to do much of anything to get it to work in NTSC-Land.

Doing a film-out? It's no big deal for any good film company to work with 23.976.

You can conform the edited video to 25 fps for PAL-Land. Yes, the video runs a tiny bit faster and you may want to drop the pitch of the audio for those viewers with perfect pitch, but it's not tough.

You can also take the completed 23.976 video to a production house to have them to the frame rate conversion to 25 via hardware.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]