FORUMS: list search recent posts

help with echolab mvs 5

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Doug Grawe
help with echolab mvs 5
on Jan 1, 2010 at 1:02:42 am

Hello All, I was hoping someone out there could help me with an old video mixer. I'm a High School teacher and we recently were given an echolab mvs 5 video mixer. I’ve been using a videonics mixer with no problems. The only reason to think about switching over to the echolab is because of the 10 inputs. I should point out that I'm a sound guy so I really only know enough about video to make me dangerous, but I'm all we've got.

Here is my issue. I tried hooking a DVD player in to the mixer to test it out. I got a very distorted picture out. Keep in mind I have no idea what I'm doing here, but I put a y cable in and hooked the DVD into both an input and the genlock on the mixer and the picture cleared right up. If I hook up a second DVD to an input then switch to it I'm back to the wonky picture, so I'm assuming it has something to do with the genlock. So I guess my question is, is there another piece of equipment I need to hook up to this mixer to be able to hook up consumer grade equipment to it?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me. I REALLY appreciate it

Doug

Return to posts index

maurice jansen
Re: help with echolab mvs 5
on Jan 1, 2010 at 10:46:44 pm

hi Doug

you already found the problem by your self.
the mixer can only handle genlocked/timed signals.
indeed DVD and other consumersource's need a extra treatment.
what you need are or DVD players that can genlock (but these are hard to find and often not completly timeable) or you have to found some framesynchronizers.(often wrongly called TBC's). you can find these in all kind's of pricetag's.

by the way find your manual at

http://www.echolab.com/pages/manuals.html

grt
Maurice

People saying they don't make mistake's often make nothing at all!

Return to posts index

Doug Grawe
Re: help with echolab mvs 5
on Jan 1, 2010 at 11:05:24 pm

Thanks Maurice, That is what I was afraid of. I just did a quick search for frame synchronizer. Looks like you can't touch one for less than $250. At that price if I wanted to be able to mix in 3 DVD/VCR's it looks like I'd be better off buying another videonics mixer.

Sometimes its amazing how expensive "free" stuff can be.

Thanks again Maurice, I really do appreciate reply

Doug

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]