FORUMS: list search recent posts

SONY SRW 5500 offspeed playback for PAL downconvert

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Rae
SONY SRW 5500 offspeed playback for PAL downconvert
on Dec 9, 2009 at 4:49:08 am

I am an assistant engineer looking for a little advice about the sony srw 5500. I just put in a new evertz refrence card so we can run off speed 1080/23.98 422 to 25 fps down converts from HDcamSR to digi beta. I've gone through all the steps (to my knowledge), I set the system frequency to 50i, turned on pitch correction (item 816 in vtr setup) grouped the audio channels A,B for pitch correction and selected which form of dynamic music was on the tape, as well as setting up frame convert and attempting to lock the timecode at the start time of the the source master using timecode convert and entering the start time manually but I only had success in running HD to HD dubs.

The scenario that was successful was a 23.98 422 source master to 50i 422. I know my reference is good because i just put the card in and tested it's functionality. The refrence is set to 50i/25psf for the HD and 25psf for the standard def reference. I patch out of our patch panel from the SRW sdi out and the rs422 remote in to the PAL digi beta deck and I get audio/video but the timecodes are WAY off... the source deck master timecode has been set to lock at hour 1 but on the digi beta deck the timecode is at hour 17:36:21;09 while the program actually starts at 1 hour. What step am I leaving out here? I did save settings in NV ram control/save all... why wont the digi beta deck lock up with the source timecode? Am I leaving out a step on the digi beta deck? Thanks in advance for any insight that you may have :)

Return to posts index

Mark Spano
Re: SONY SRW 5500 offspeed playback for PAL downconvert
on Dec 9, 2009 at 3:49:39 pm

Not sure why you'd need RS422, but in order to get the time code to the DigiBeta, you'll need to patch LTC out from the SRW to the Digi and set the Digi to TC External/Regen. Sounds like everything else is correct.

Return to posts index

Brian Rae
Re: SONY SRW 5500 offspeed playback for PAL downconvert
on Dec 9, 2009 at 5:35:18 pm

well I wasn't clear about the RS 422 and why I would need it, it's because our PAL and NTSC machine rooms are separated by a wall therefore we need to use a remote tie line as well as an sdi tie line to trade signal between rooms... that was really beside the point I guess. On another note I was able to create a 25psf dub from a 23.98 source master this morning with no issues once I realized that the deck needed to be switched from TC auto to VITC, once I did that the time codes locked right up. Thank you for your reply.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]